Windows xp professional

Discussion in 'Software' started by woodworker, Apr 26, 2007.

1. woodworker

woodworker Private E-2

Hi there people , one more time with my windows xp problem,
    I now have 2 full copies of window xp profesional on my pc, I would like to get rid of one copy, what I did do is transfer all the needed files, etc, from drive C then tried to format drive C that just won't work, all it will say is that
    quit any disk utilities or other programs, as far as I can see there is nothing else running, if any one out there has any ideas I'd love to hear from you.
    Still:banghead confused WOODWORKER

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Am I understanding you correctly? You're trying to format C: from within windows?

If so, it won't work. Windows has the hard drive locked. The files on it are in use.

You'll need to configure your machine to boot from CD to format, and not run into this problem.

Post back if you have any problems doing so.

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Please make a copy of c:\boot.ini and rename it boot.txt, then post it here.
    I seem to remember you have only dial up net access, but this is only a small file.

If you can tell us where the second copy if winxp is installed that would be good. Have you only one physical hard drive? and how many partitions ( drives) are shown in my computer? I'm not counting floppy or cd.

Studio T

4. woodworker

woodworker Private E-2

To STUDIO T
    The extra copy of windows xp is in C drive, I have 1 drive parttitiond once.
    so I have c/d I do have a external drive with lots of room.

confused I'm trying to attach the Boot,txt you asked for not having much luck doing that.
    Wood Worker

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

The external drive is of no consequance here. I am trying to find the partition you are booting from so we can correct you boot.ini and dispose of the unwanted windows partial installation. I presume D is for data or something so again not needed.

Can you not find boot.ini? dont forget to tick the show hidden files and folders in
    mycomputer>tools>folder options
    and also untick hide file extensions.

Or can you not upload the file to MG?

go ADVANCED and click on the paper clip icon.

Studio T

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

If you still can't upload, just open it in notepad, copy and paste it into the thread, it will only be a few lines.

I will be away for most of next week. I believe you mentioned the phone in the last thread, send me a private message with the no if you like.

Studio T

7. woodworker

woodworker Private E-2

Attached Files:

8. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You do have an extra line in your boot.ini file here, but if we're lucky, and the extra installation is invalid, Windows can do all the work for us here!

Try this:

1. Hit windows key + r (or click Start --> Run)
    2. In the 'Run' dialog, type 'MSCONFIG' (without the quotes)
    3. Hit enter (or click 'OK')
    4. On the 'System Configuration Utility' dialog, select the 'BOOT.INI' tab
    5. Hit ALT+C (or click 'Check All Boot Paths')

Windows will now check all installations listed in your boot.ini file. One is obviously working. If the other is not, then Windows will automatically remove it for us. If both are working, we may have to remove one manually. Post back if the above doesn't work for you.

9. woodworker

woodworker Private E-2

It seems that both are working ok, when I select check all booth paths it comes upwith It appears that all boot,ini lines for microsoft operating
    are ok
    WoodWorker

10. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Drat.
    Okay, then, we'll need to know which partition the installation to be removed is on. What drives are listed in My Computer?

I assume you want to keep the installation on the C: drive?

11. woodworker

woodworker Private E-2

I know this is sounding stupid, in my pc there is C drive and then spare drive D
    I do believe that both windowxp are on C drive.
    WoodWorker

12. woodworker

woodworker Private E-2

I have one harddrive and is partisiond c/d, I forget if I send you this reply before.
    The WoodWorker

13. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Many thanks Mada for progressing this thread.

OK so get a formatted floppy and copy the following files to it.

C:\NTLDR (note no extension)
    C:\NTDETECT.COM
    C:\BOOT.ini

You have just made a boot floppy. Test it by booting the pc with the floppy in the drive. Make sure 'boot from floppy' comes before boot from 'hard drive' in BIOS BOOT ORDER.
    If all is well with your floppy Windows will boot normally. Then open the boot.ini on the floppy and remove the last line

multi.......partition(1)........

save the file to floppy and reboot.

IF Windows again boots normally remove the same line from the boot.ini on the hard drive. YOU are done.

IF windows fails to boot power off and remove the floppy.
    Reboot from hard drive and copy the boot.ini from hard drive to floppy (replace). Then remove the OTHER multi.... line from the boot.ini on the hard drive.
    Reboot from hard drive, if successful, (you should be) again copy the boot.ini from the hard drive to the floppy (replace).
    You are done.

You now have a working hard drive and floppy backup boot disk.

Have a beer.

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds