Yet another realtek HD audio problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by thje_jon, Aug 6, 2008.

1. thje_jon

thje_jon Private E-2

First of all I apologise for creating yet another thread concerning the Realtek HD audio drivers. However, in my defense I've browsed all the related threads that I can find and although my problem is not the same as those reported I have tried some of the solutions already, but let me start at the beginning...

I've just put together a replacement system for an old Shuttle whose motherboard went to silicon heaven specs are: Athlon 5000+ dual core 64bit CPU, Asus M2A-MX motherboard (Realtek 662ALC audio), 2GB Ram, Nvidia 8600GT PCI-E, Hitachi 250GB SATA HD, Maxtor 80GB HD, Samsung 150GB HD, Samsung Dual Layer DVD-RW SATA. Operating system is Win XP Pro (32bit) updated so that the next available update is SP3.

Whilst installing the Realtek HD Audio drivers the new hardware wizard pops up and then closes again reporting that there was a problem installing the drivers and that the device may not work properly (via the balloon off of the system tray icon). The Realtek driver installation then completes and all devices register as correctly configured and fully operational. However, after rebooting and setting the speaker configuration to 5.1 only the center speaker appears to operate correctly. The right front speaker is distorted but not too bad, the left front is highly distorted and much quieter, the sub is almost inaudiable and both rear speakers are silent. Even with the default 2 speaker configuration I get no sound.
    If I then try and do anything that contains multiple sound channels (gaming) the system BSODs and reboots. After sending MS the error report I'm directed to a support page telling me that the problem was caused by my audio - so I know that things aren't good.

That's the problem, now for what I've tried...

I've downloaded and tried both the most recent motherboard software bundle and Realtek issue driver, I've tried the hotfix and I've uninstalled the MS UUA as well as the realtek software before installations. All to no avail. From what I can work out the new hardware wizard pop up is due to the Realtek drivers installing the UUA first and windows then spotting the Audio device and I'm assuming that the reason that the wizard automatically closes again is because the Realtek driver installation program goes on to install that device.

This is driving me absolutely nuts and although I'm probably going to just order a decent soundcard anyway I would like to get the onboard audio working so that I can run things like Vent through the on board and out to the front panel connectors whilst game audio is pumped through the speakers.

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

This is a new problem for me and I really don't have any info for you.
    Vent is Ventrilo?
    Is that already installed?

Sometimes, 2-way chat programs and their drivers cause conflicts with the normal audio drivers.

You might try uninstalling Vent and making sure all it's components are removed.
    Run CCleaner, both the Cleaner and Registry.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_S...ish_d4191.html

Then install Realtek, test your sound, and then reinstall Vent.

MS has released a Realtek update.
    (Not sure if you would have received it, if you are not updated to SP3)
    I have seen conflicts between this update and the normal downloaded driver.
    Have you tried uninstalling the Realtek audio driver, through Add/Remove Programs and then rebooting to see if Windows has the Realtek driver and will load it?

Another thing to consider. It may be possible that the drivers you have downloaded may have gotten corrupted during the download.
    You might try this download: It seems to download well through MG.
    http://majorgeeks.com/Realtek_High_Definition_Audio_for_2KXP03_d4902.html

And lastly, make sure your you have not set your audio to S/PDIF or digital, if you have those options.

3. thje_jon

thje_jon Private E-2

Yes, Vent is Ventrillo and no, it's not installed. Due to some OCD i'm very methodical in the way that I do things so it was full reformat of system drive, install XP, install motherboard drivers, update XP, update other drivers, install software. So far all I've installed software wise is Eve Online, Firefox and Thunderbird. Basically I get everything up and running then start adding things and making sure that nothing breaks.

I also followed your advice in other threads and uninstalled the Realtek software via add/remove programs and did the same with the kb888111 (or similar) update. I've also tried to update the drivers via the hardware wizards check online option both after installing the provided CD and installing the downloaded versions and that says it can't find a newer version. I also checked that there was nothing installed under legacy drivers and that is clean. It's all very strange.

I'm currently downloading the drivers that you linked and will give that a go. I'm not certain as to how to check if it is set for digital output since the control interface is an Asus branded one and is a little.... Childish would be the best word. Very bright with lots of bold shapes but it's hard to actually *do* anything with it. :)
    On the Audio I/O tab I've set the digital output to "no S/PDIF output" since I had nothing that would use that anyway. Will report back once I've installed the drivers that are coming down.

4. thje_jon

thje_jon Private E-2

Hokay.... Did the same thing for the linked drivers. Uninstalled Realtek and the UAA bus, reinstalled both and same problem. I'm now adding SP3 just in case, but I'm starting to think that it may be a hardware problem rather than a driver issue. A shiny, shiny soundcard is currently winging its way towards me so failing any inspiration strikes I've a feeling that i'll be disabling the onboard audio device through the BIOS.

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

It sounds like you have gone about everything correctly, so you are not the problem. (I mean that in a nice way, as a lot of driver install problems are from improper install order)

Some audio control managers call the S/PDIF just plain Digital)

Is this a new board? (still under warranty?)
    It is always possible that you could have a bad chip.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds