Gmail vs. MS Exchange

Discussion in 'Software' started by stpisces, Dec 14, 2011.

1. stpisces

stpisces Private E-2

Soooo... I love my gmail :-D and I have all of my other accounts forwarding there. But the company I work at uses MS Exchange, including its web mail client.

Problem is, I can't find a way to auto forward to gmail. POP seems to be disabled, and there's no place to add a forwarding rule. They do have instructions for checking via MS Outlook, but I have Win 7 with no MS Outlook installed. (Just the dumb Windows Live Mail client.)

Is there any way to set this up to auto forward anyway? :innocent

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Surely, if your company uses MS Exchange, that means they also use Outlook. In other words, they would install Outlook on all employees computers. So, I'm puzzled. Why do you not have Outlook? Are you trying to get the mail on a home computer?

3. stpisces

stpisces Private E-2

Thank you for replying! No, we don't have Outlook... I am in sales, also known as "the ghetto". We buy our own machines, and I have the $300 Walmart special. :-o

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

So, their instructions tell how to set up an email account in Outlook. Is that right? I'm not sure how Outlook works with MS Exchange. For non-Exchange users, the email account would need to be POP-enabled or IMAP-enabled to use Outlook or other email clients with the email account. Perhaps this is not necessary when Outlook in used with MS Exchange; again, I don't know how that works.

What about accessing the email via web browser, just you can do with gmail or Yahoo! Mail or Hotmail? I think you'll need to get the answer to this from someone in the company. Do they have a tech support person or dept.?

5. stpisces

stpisces Private E-2

Oh well, thank you for trying.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds