Problem connecting to linksys router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rudy1, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Rudy1

Rudy1 Private E-2

Hello.

I would link to thank you kind professionals for any help you can provide.

I have a linksys WRT54G wireless router that has been giving me some problems lately. I have a Dell tower computer that is hard wired to the router and a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with a built-in wireless card. Both have functioned flawlessly for quite awhile but recently i have been unable to connect to the router with my laptop. So, i tried to hard wire the laptop with a direct Cat 5 cable connection to no avail. The Dell tower still works fine on the Cat 5 connection.

So, i decided to uninstall the linksys router software and even cleaned the registry of all linksys entries. Then i reinstalled the router software and followed all the steps and still no connection for the laptop wireless or hardwired. (tower works fine) Also, after i reinstalled the router software i no longer have the platform software to monitor the router. Not sure why?

Next i tried open the admin panel by typing 192.168.1.1 in my browser and it defaults to a search page. I suspect it has something to do with my verizon dsl aol browser. It keeps bringing up a search page.

My internet connection is aol/Verizon dsl.
    I am running Win XP on my dell tower and Vista on my laptop.

Any help getting me connected with my laptop is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Rudy

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Have you tried a "hard reset" on the wireless router and network? That is, unplug the modem and the router, and shut down your computers.

Then:

1. Plug in the modem
    2. Plug in the router
    3. Once these have come online, turn on the PC
    4. Then, try the laptop

I have a Linksys myself, and have dealt with others. What I recommend is setting up the router with the Linksys software, then disable/uninstall it and allow the Windows Wireless Zero to do the job. I've found that they can conflict.

What else I would recommend is that since you have an unsecure Wireless G network, is that you place the modem on "Standby" when the computers are not in use. Otherwise, anyone in range can wirelessly use your ISP connection.

3. xratedsoldier

xratedsoldier Private E-2

I would suggest that you try a few other trouble shooting steps in lew of the ones listed above. Once you have power cycled your equipment attempt to see where the network connection is breaking down. Let us know your answer so we can better assist you.

1. Make sure you are connected to the modem/router.

Open a command prompt window (Start ==> Run ==> type "cmd" (without quotes) ==> <enter>) ==> type "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) ==> <enter>

What kind of information is displayed here? What kind of IP address do you get? Do you get one at all? If you do not have an IP address then there is either a problem with your NIC, your CAT 5 cable, or the port on the router/modem. By a problem with the NIC doesn't mean that the card is bad, just that it could be disabled or you could have malware of sometype that is not allowing you access to the internet.

2. Start ==> Run ==> type "cmd" without quotes ==> <enter> ==> type "ping www.google.com"

Are there any lost packets or are you getting a reply? If are recieving a reply then there is a software issue with IE. If no reply or droped packets insure your DNS server is resolving correctly:

3. from the command prompt window ==> ping 4.2.2.2 ==> <enter>

Again same question, are there any lost packets? if there are then you are not connected to the internet and this COULD be (and most likely is) a network problem. So, now we need to know where the network failure is:

4. from the command prompt window ==> ping 127.0.0.1 ==> <enter>

This is called a loopback address. This will send a packet of information to your NIC(Network Interface Card) which will determine if it is connected correctly to the mother board. If you get a return on this...most likely everything is good.

If you are getting reply on everything then you are connected to the internet and you should be able to get online. If you cannot, then more than likely you have some form of Malware. Let us know what you find out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds