excel vba converter and installation

Discussion in 'Software' started by rhinoceros, Apr 17, 2009.

1. rhinoceros

rhinoceros Private E-2

I am running Excel2007 with windows Vista. I have an add-in from an older version of Excel that I would like to use. In trying to install it I have run into problems.

It seems that Excel 2007 cannot read VBA sripts from older versions of Excel. When opening files that include VBA, I get an error message describing the problem. I have followed this to Microsoft, and downloaded their "VBA converter pack." It is a single file of type *.bin. I have no idea how to use it. Please help!

2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Do you know what it is? I mean do you know what you have saved inside that document?

3. rhinoceros

rhinoceros Private E-2

4. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Exactly what version is that older version?

6. rhinoceros

rhinoceros Private E-2

Cordialis:

The link you offered is for a different converter--to allow users of older versions of Excel to open files created with the newer version. Mine is an issue of forward compatibility. I find it surprisng that even Microsoft would create a new version of a product without full forward compatibility.

The one non-trivial property shown for the file is that it opens with "Windows Common Shell DLL." I find this unhelpful since I have only used dll's in conjunction with other executable files.

usaf vet:

The previous version of excel, with which this add-in worked, was excel 2000. But I had brought it forward from yet older versions. When it was created, Windows95 was the prevailing operating system

7. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

8. rhinoceros

rhinoceros Private E-2

The CD burn approach failed. I tried both "mastered" and "file access" formats. The same page suggest various programs to open .bin files. I Installed PowerISO but it doesn't recognize the file.

Anyway, that .bin file is for Macintosh (according to microsoft). So I think I need something different.

I have to believe this is a fairly common problem. I expect lots of people use excel add-ins. They can't be happy about abandoning previous work when they "upgraded?!" to Office 2007.

Do you know of other forums focused on excel? I expect I would learn a lot of other good stuff there too.

9. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds