Connection problem when playing games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theReverend, Nov 25, 2005.

1. theReverend

theReverend Private E-2

Hello, hopefully someone can help, as my knowledge is pretty limited when it comes to networking and I have a really annoying problem.

Over the past couple of weeks/months whenever I try to connect to a CS/COD 2/BF 2 server, I can access the server lists with no problem, but as soon as I try to connect to one, my connection cuts out and I can't connect, my mozilla then also can't connect to any websites, but oddly enough apps like msn and ventrillo stay connected. After a few minutes the connection comes back, but if I try to connect to a server, same thing happens again. The only game I can play with absolutely no problems is World of Warcraft. I share a connection with one other computer, that one connects to the router/modem by USB, mine is connected by ethernet. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

2. dedub

dedub Corporal

reverend, how long have you had both computers hooked up, USB ~ Ethernet? Most ISP's will only allow one at a time. The computer that is hooked up has its MAC registered with the ISP. With 2 hooked up simultaneously you could be causing issues and thats why your connections drop sporatically. Does the USB computer have the same problems? Probably not. Maybe invest in a $40.00 router with a built in switch. or disconnect the USB computer, reboot the router and Ethernet computer and try that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds