How to disable WMPNSCFG.exe FOR GOOD!?!?

Discussion in 'Software' started by yusky03, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yusky03

yusky03 Private First Class

I just got WMP 11 and noticed that WMPNSCFG.exe runs in the background even tho the shareing setting is disabled so i used spybot to disable it but eveytime i use WMP it enables it again so i disabled the Windows Service "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" and still it sets it to run at startup. How do i keep this from ever running again.

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

That particular service is used to share Windows Media Player libraries. If you do NOT want it running all the time you can disable the service manually by
    Clicking Start > Run > services.msc and pressing OK.

Locate the service and set it to "Disabled", restart and it shouldn't come back. If it does then go to the Recovery tab and reset all three boxes to take no action, this may work as well.

Let us know if it does.

3. yusky03

i already tryed that with no luck

thanks for the reply

4. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Have you set Media Player up for network sharing?

The only other suggestion I can think of that may work is actually removing the file and service. This has not been tested so I can't promise it will work, it's the only other thing that I know that may work if disabling didnt work.

Reboot into Safe Mode and delete the file,

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe

Then click Start > Run > type in the below:

sc delete WMPNSCFG

5. yusky03

didn't work but thanks for trying

it can't start anyway can it since i deleted the file

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

LMAO. One way to do it, when all else fails.:D :cool: ;) Bazza

===

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds