Internet not working through router / Xbox Live not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by godsgift2dagame, Nov 13, 2008.

1. godsgift2dagame

godsgift2dagame Private E-2

OK, first and foremost. I signed up with the evil Internet Service provider, Comcast. Yes, I know. Anyways, I was trying to fix the bad connection on Xbox Live when I messed something up. I was talking to the represenative while he was helping me fix over the phone and told me to use Internet directly from cable modem to CPU (the ethernet cable). Well, that causes a problem because I enjoy playing Xbox Live as well, and the cable modem has one ethernet port...

When I tried to connect cable modem ethernet cable to router, then putting in cpu ethernet cable and xbox live ethernet cable in, NEITHER works. I have the ports forwarded (88 and 2074) to Xbox on the router. It's not that.

When it's connected through router, Internet does NOT work (page cannot be found) and Xbox Live does not connect.

The router I'm using is a Netgear RP114.

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

connect your modem to the wan/internet port on the router, then connect your computer to one of the 4 switch ports. wait for your computer to recognize that the connection was made. then go start-run-type cmd- enter type ipconfig/release-enter type ipconfig/renew - enter

post your ip configuration and well go from there.

3. godsgift2dagame

Connection specific DNS suffix: hsd1.il.comcast.net
    IP Address: 192.168.0.3
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 192.168.0.1

4. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

that looks ok to me.

now ping down the line. first just to make sure, ping your nic, then your gateway, then your public ip to make sure your router is actually routing. if you can ping your gateway but not your public ip then your router isnt routing and you might need to first power cycle it, then if that doesnt work factory reset it still no go then you might need to try a different router

5. godsgift2dagame

I'm sorry to give you a hassle, but what's ping mean?

6. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

oh my fault. ping just sends a few bits of data to the network device you specify. its to check if you can communicate
    go to the same place you did the ipconfig at and type ping www.google.com. itll either say reply or timed out.

7. godsgift2dagame

I did the ping and got some data...

8. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

dude i forgot to have you connect your router first... hopefully you did that before you were doing the pings, but if not give that a try. this will just tell me if there are settings in your browser we need to look at.

and by the way, is it just your xbox that you cant get to the internet on or your computer too?

9. godsgift2dagame

Hey

The internet for the computer is working fine, but the Xbox Live keeps getting disconnected. I opened the NAT type, so I dont know why it still is not working. Is there something I have to download for my Netgear router?

10. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

you shouldnt have to dl anything i dont think.

sorry tho man, i thought it was your computer as well. if its just your xbox its def some setting on that. ive never messed with those tho so i dont know. just check through the xbox settings and make sure its set to receive dhcp. also check the cable too. you might just have a bad cable... thats really all i have on that man. let me know if i can help further at all.

11. FaramirX

FaramirX Private E-2

Ok if your computer is WORKING through the Router, Then it is really something on your xbox. Plug your xbox into your router along with your computer. Now turn on the xbox. (this is gonna be a littel different with the new console menu and crap they did.) But you need to find network settings. It used to be in :My Xbox:: or somewhere in there. Well umm if your using the same ip configuration as you POSTED down there. Then in the network stuff try and make the Ip something between 192.168.0.5 - 192.168.0.254 somewhere in there. And the Default Gateway should be the same as the one you posted. Now i will get on and look at some stuff on my xbox later (after i get my new monitor from newegg lol) and ill repost with some more info if i find it.:major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds