Disable Intel Speedstep technology

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aslan2010, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Aslan2010

Aslan2010 Private E-2

Hi guys,

I have a HP 8510w laptop with the following specs:

- Windows 7 64 bit ultimate
    - Intel core 2 duo 2400 mhz
    - 4 gb ram memory
    - nVidia quadro FX570m GPU

I get problems when playing UT2003 demo.
    The game goes from 200% speed to just 20% speed the whole time, I found out that this is the fault of Intel's speedstep technology. Whenever I change the settings in power management, the situation improves. I already tried putting minimum powermanagement and maximum powermanagement both on 100%.

The best result I can get is putting min and max both on 20%, but the problem stays. I would like to know how I can permanently disable speedstep in bios and in windows? My current bios version does not support this.

I'm sure of it that this is not a videocard problem or whatsoever, games like starcraft 2 are doing fine without any problem.

I hope you guys can help me out.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'd set Speedstep to only run when battery powered and to run at 100% when on AC. There's usually a program running in the System Tray near the clock that controls it, failing that, there ought to be one in Control Panel, look for Intel ... if you don't have that, visit the Intel site and look for Speedstep software.

If your're trying to set the W7 Power Management, again, I'd set everything to max power on AC and something lower for DC.

Your graphics card shoud be fine for the UT demo and great for 2D work.

3. Aslan2010

Aslan2010 Private E-2

It's a uni laptop I myself am a structural engineering student in The Netherlands, drawing in autocad is the main reason of my videocard, but it should easily handle UT2003.

I looked up at intel's website, and found one program called; intel processor diagnostic tool, but it doesn't seem to support 64 bit version of windows 7.

Is there no bios option so I can completely disable speedstep (my laptop battery died a while ago, so saving power won't do me any good)?

4. satrow

There's often a setting within the BIOS to disable Speedstep, yes. Whether or not that option has been installed or is available depends on the makers of the laptop - they often 'cripple' the BIOS with their 'customisations'.

There may be a setting within Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings > Change advanced power settings > scroll down the list to Processor power management and click on the +.

5. Aslan2010

Aslan2010 Private E-2

I already did that (putting min and max to 100%), the situation gets even worse.
    For now 20% minimum and 20% maximum seems to be the best option, but that doesn't kill the problem.

I hope IN windows control is not the only possibility to tackle this problem.

6. Aslan2010

Aslan2010 Private E-2

anyone? :(

there should be a solution:(

7. satrow

Did you read Post #4?

8. Aslan2010

Aslan2010 Private E-2

I did, I already tried before the processor power management, putting both min and max to 100%, it didnt help.

I was hoping to find a option in the bios, but my current bios option does not have it. Or intel speedstep is known under other names.

Is it possible for me to update my bios so I can have that option? I've never done it before though.

9. satrow

You have to disable the power management. Make it run at 100% fulltime, is that not possible in the BIOS nor within Windows?

10. Aslan2010

Aslan2010 Private E-2

Doesn´t work at all.
    I don´t have the bios option and putting everything in powermanagement in windows on max doesn´t help either.

Are there any other ways? Like software to control speedstep?

11. Aslan2010

Aslan2010 Private E-2

I've done some research and found a program called rightmark cpu utility clock.

If I can't disable speedstep, maybe I can turn this program on to use maximum cpu performance when the game is running.

I have minor understanding of programs like this, and I don't want to overheat or kill my CPU..

Does anyone know how I can use this program just for maximum performance and what settings I should use (RMCLOCK version 2.35 windows 7 64bit)?

Also I found out that speedstep is enlisted too in the program, but but the text is grey and I can't turn it off within the program.

12. dennisfromwi

dennisfromwi Private E-2

Granted you are using win7, but there is a program that gives you control over the speedstep feature in Winxp called speedswitchxp. It's worth a shot since it looks to be more of an Intel-friendly program than something specifically and only for XP. I hope it helps you out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds