Printer settings don't stick

Discussion in 'Software' started by JimLL, Jan 19, 2011.

1. JimLL

JimLL I can't follow the rules

XP Pro, SP3, current updates, Lenovo T60p, I've been in computers since 1979, but brain damage blew most of that away.

This may look like a hardware thing, but maybe not.

Part of my printer (Artisan 710) preferences weren't staying - in fact the "Apply" button remains grayed out. I complained to Epson and they said is was a common problem, but it wasn't their problem and to get in touch with "support.microsoft." Which is why I think it is a software problem.

Seems to me Epson could at least have given a link directly to whatever they thought was the useful article or page.

Does anybody know about this issue and/or how to dig up some info on it?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

you are not alone. I have had this same problem. I think I solved it by uninstalling my printer driver and then reinstalling it.

3. JimLL

Thanks. It occurs to me that I would have no clue how to change the printer drivers. Altho it does remind me that I haven't even done a standard driver update yet. Maybe that will help.

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi Jim

Here is the link for the Epson support page for the printer you listed: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/...=63084663&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows

Have you gone into your device manager to find your printer driver and see if there is a yellow exclamation point on it? Even if there isn't, you can uninstall it and reinstall it using the link I gave you. It looks like the most is from 2009. Note that there are different downloads specifically for 32bit and for 64bit.

5. JimLL

Odd that you would ask! There is no printer entry in Device Manager. And I opened each one to see if there was anything "printerish" in any of them. Hmmmm.

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

7. JimLL

Hm. You could have fooled me. I thought printers were supposed to be in Device Manager. Why are they not?
    I guess I don't get it. That article is about installing an updated driver. I already found out that it merely tells you you are already up to date and doesn't let you reinstall.

8. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Have you gone to epson.com yet and installed the printer driver you can download from there?

9. JimLL

Yes. The "Apply" button is still grayed out, but if I hit OK and leave the printer preferences dialog open while I do some printing it _seems_ to lock in on the Auto double-side (or the opposite) that I was looking to get, and stay there.

Actually I didn't go to epson.com. I went into Printer Preferences -> Maintenance and clicked on Driver Update and _it_ went to epson.com. I suppose I could try getting a download and see what that does.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds