Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device/Multimedia Audio Controller

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dinkyday, May 18, 2011.

1. dinkyday

dinkyday Private E-2

Hello, I have been given a Gateway E-2000 that was bought from Rentway (Rent-to-own). I have re-installed everything (XP Home) but the audio. The system says "No audio device" but the "Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device" is installed and working properly, according to Windows. The "Multimedia Audio Controller" has a yellow question mark by it. Does the Multimedia Audio Controller control the audio device, and if so, what must be done to restore it? Serial #:0029174153 Model#:(HV) MFATXNIN/NMZ/RW/ - / 1800 CEL
    Gateway E-2000 4000792

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, dinkyday, and welcome to MajorGeeks.

If you can give us a little more information, I'm sure we can get you straightened out.

Please download and run Speccy, a free system information tool.

When the scan completes, click 'File', 'Save as Text file', name the report, and save to an easily found location, such as your Desktop.

Be advised: the report will display your IP Address and Windows Product Key. You may delete this information if you so wish.

Then attach that file to your next post per these instructions: HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post.

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

I'm not really very good with drivers so you may want to wait for a better answer.

I didn't see that model on Gateway's site. I did find a few links to that model and all included a SoundMax audio driver. I don't think there is any downside to trying a driver that won't work so I would go ahead and see if the audio driver on this page will install. You may want to create a Restore Point before trying it just to be sure it leaves nothing behind if it doesn't work.

Edit: Please take Caliban's advice he is far better at drivers than me. Caliban you might consider that SoundMax is a good possibility for this model. :)

4. Caliban

Hey, sach.

Yeah, I didn't see the E-2000 either, so I'd like to see the whole machine. Might also be a SP3/UAA Hi-Def thing going on, but the SoundMax might be a good shot.

5. dinkyday

dinkyday Private E-2

Ok..attempting to send speccy text file..hope this helps

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  6. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    When I put your serial number in at gateway, this came up.

Unfortunately, MPC ceased to exit a couple of years ago. But, a support site was formed out of this bankruptcy and I found the e-2000 Rentway. I would wait to download these until Caliban comes back with his advise.

http://www.mpcdrivers.com/apps/fileliste2000rentway.html

7. sach2

I know tgell and I said wait for Caliban but seeing as we both came to the same list of drivers I think it is safe to try the SoundMax driver. Caliban will be back later tonight if you choose to wait.

The unimodem device is really just your modem's audio tones not the actual sound device. So I think it is a red herring not something you need to find other drivers for.

8. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Sorry sach2, I should have followed the link you posted. :-o

Sleeping at the switch again.:banghead

9. dinkyday

dinkyday Private E-2

Thank you tgell, sach2 and Caliban for having knowledge I did not. The Soundmax driver from the link worked. I have agonized over this for months. Kudos to all.

10. sach2

I'm glad it worked for you. :)

I noticed that your speccy attachment did include your XP key. Since your problem is fixed I think it is advisable to delete the attachment just to avoid possible trouble.

Click UserCP at the top left of any MajorGeeks page. Scroll all the way down to Attachments. Your dinkyday.txt will be listed. Check the box on the far right and then hit the delete button. [This will remove the attachment from your post. Probably not a big concern but better safe than sorry.]

****One other thought is that your RAM is very low. You can squeak by on the 256mb you have installed but would notice a huge difference by adding a 1gb module. Just something to consider. http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=E-2000 Series&Cat=RAM

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  11. Caliban

Good job, guys - I knew that if I stayed away long enough, y'all would get all of the grunt work done. ;)

Glad you got everything sorted, dinkyday, and thanks for the feedback. :major

12. ziadhamze

ziadhamze Private E-2

i have the same problem can someone help me, I have attached my PC laptop details. PLeaseeeeee help me

Attached Files:

13. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Dinkday,

If i'm not mistaken that Audio device is part of the Dial-Up moden that has audio capabilities. It really has nothing to do with the main audio except to use it for output.

Maybe?

Good Luck, Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds