no keyboards work on my pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nexus_, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

long story short

I use a wireless keyboard which ive been using for about 2 years almost

Today i was typing and all of a sudden it just stopped working. This has happened about 2 times before but i managed to fix it by unplugging the keyboard usb connector. Sometimes it requires a reboot to fix and i tried and same problem persists.

Here is what i have done so far

1. tried multiple usb slots nothing worked

2. replaced batteries on keyboard no result either

3. rebooted pc 5 times..no difference

4. Did virus/spyware scans..everything came back empty and clean

5. installed new windows updates. no change

6. Tried a wired keybaord and another different wireless one..pc doesn't read any of them.

7. checked all usb ports with other devices to check if they work . They work just fine its just keyboards that are the problem. When i attach the usb receiver for a keyboard it detec4s it however when i use any keys on ANY keyboard it reads none of them.

This is a bit frustrating since i typed all of this using an onscreen keyboard which takes alot longer. Help please?

2. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

Well i managed to get my PS/2 wired keyboard to work after several tries.

However i don't like this keyboard because its large and takes more space, i much rather be using my slim wireless keyboard.

I tried multiple times and my pc still won't read it, i tried several new batteries so that's not the problem. I look in my control panel on connected devices and it sates '' this device is working properly'' but it doesn't let me type anything with it.

I clicked to download new drivers but they are up to date , so i don't know what to do anymore. The computer detects the hardware so it doesn't appear nonfunctional?

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I don't know what OS your running, but I had this happen to a Win 7 machine and the only advice on the web was to reload the OS.
    Does the keyboard work in BIOS? When the PC is booting (check you screen for the key(s)) but hitting DEL or f12 - whatever, get you into BIOS?
    If so then the problem may be Windows. Do a system restore point, see what that does... if not I hate to say this.. reload or google and see if anyone has fixed it in the past few months.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

To rule out a problem with the wireless USB keyboard, try a wired USB keyboard and see if it works properly.
    oops :-o I re-read and saw this has been tried.

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Do you also use a wireless mouse? If so, were the mouse and keyboard part of a combo package when you bought them? And, is the mouse working?

I may be wrong but I would not rule out a defective keyboard, even though your computer tells you ''this device is working properly''.

7. Rikky

Wired keyboard has been tried.

For record Nexus only use a wired USB keyboard for testing, don't use a wireless or PS2.

8. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

:confused

9. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I am using windows 7 Home premium 64 bit, although i was using a wireless keyboard right now i was forced to use a PS2 keyboard because that was all i could get to work after several tries.

My usb ports work i tested all of them, also my wireless keyboard( non working) is separate from my mouse ( no combo). Mouse is not wireless either its usb.

I did search to see if other people had similar problems and i did come across another forum except they didn't appear to have any solutions. Their keyboards just ''mysteriously'' decided to start working again ( similar to what i described in my first post when my same keyboard gave me issues twice before). Others said they opened up the keyboard and the problem went away, another person even went as far as dropping the keyboard ( intentionally) and it fixed their issue.

This is the 3rd time its happened on this pc, and prior to this i was using a different one ( win vista) and never had this issue for a whole year.

10. Rikky

To confirm all you USB keyboards do not work,only PS2 keyboards? This is important to decipher if it's a USB keyboard problem or a wireless keyboard problem.

Was the link I posted no help? You need to have a only a usb keyboard connected,disconnect your ps2 keyboard and restart your PC when you run it,temporarily disabled password log on in user accounts first so you can log in with only the none working keyboard connection and then run the program and see if it can fix it.

You also have to test the keyboards in bios as foogoo said and let us know, if they don't work in bios this rules out windows problem and points to hardware/hardware settings problem.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  11. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I skimmed through some of the responses so i haven't tried the link you posted yet..

I did however try the keyboard in bios and got no response from it. I also noticed the light on the keyboard doesn't come on like it should when its powered on.

Should i still try what you linked me to even though i just tried these things:

Tested my brothers wireless logitech keyboard ( on my pc) , works 100% fine in my computer. I then went ahead and tested my wireless keyboard on his pc ( has xp sp3) it doesn't function either. So i tried it on another pc ( using win 7 64 bit ultimate), and it doesn't function there as well.

Is it safe to say its dead now? If it is i am not sure what was going on before with my pc not recognizing any keyboards only after a few reboots.

12. Rikky

Sorry USA veteran I rushed and misread:-o Please accept my apology:cool

Not quite:-D Do you know how to do a frequency reset? Some wireless devices can cycle radio channels when one doesn't work,they also have a detection process to enable each wireless component to talk to each other.

First replace the batteries, most common problem of all. Next look through your manual for troubleshooting steps or setup steps, the process is similar to this you press and hold a small switch on the underside of the transmitter and the transmitter will begin to flash,you then press the small switch on the keyboard and it will be detected.The switch is usually tiny and recessed so it can't be pressed accidentally.

Each device has a different method for this but the goal is the same to allow the receiver to detect the keyboard, if you can't find the switch or it doesn't have post the model of your keyboard see if anyone can help:)

13. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I have absolutely no idea on how to do a frequency reset.

The manual i have for this keyboard is near useless, its only 3 pages long, first page just basically consists of hazard warnings and the other 2 just show pictures and directions on how to insert batteries in the keyboard and mouse ( as if someone wouldn't be able to figure that out..).

Manual mentions absolutely nothing about troubleshooting, all they mention is how to put the batteries and where to plugin the usb receiver. Unlike my brothers logitech keyboard set , my usb receiver has no reset button or anything kind of switch at all.

My keyboard also has no switch either. Its brand is gearhead and the model is : KB55OOW

I can't recall how much i paid for it but being the cheap person i am i must of paid about $15 usd for it or less and it came as a set ( wireless keyboard and mouse), i never used the mouse but it had a totally different usb receiver for it.

14. Rikky

Yeah gearhead don't offer any product support really other than email,not even downloadable manuals.

I have found this general fix for re syncing gearhead products though,if it doesn't have this key and you've never used it before it most likely auto syncs so this guide won't be if use.

15. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

The only thing that comes close to that is some hotkey on top of the keyboard that is used to reload pages.

I tried what you stated and nothing ( appeared ) to work. So i took out all the screws in the back and took apart the keyboard tried to look for something unusual or broken but everything looked fine so i put it back together and inserted the batteries once again.

When i tried it this time the windows key was working so i press other keys and it seems to read all of them now. Not really sure if it was actually me taking the keyboard apart that helped or the pressing the reloading button. I didn't wait longer than 10 seconds after i pressed the reload button to take the thing apart so i guess i can't say that didn't fix it.

This may happen in another couple of months so i guess ill try and see if the reload button actually did anything.

Thanks for the replies everyone ( and rikkis most frequent ones), my keyboard seems to be working now ( typing with it).

As a side note how do I disable the on screen keyboard from popping up every time i start windows?

16. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

17. Austin Metzkes

Austin Metzkes Private E-2

Hey I know this is like 7 years too late, but I had this problem and accidentally fixed it by replacing the power cable to the computer.

Hopefully this helps for anyone else in the future!

18. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

hard to imagine i had this account for 8 years orso

and some of the people that replied ( when topic was created ) have been here for 12-15 years! Some which i still see post

My keyboard in this topic eventually ended up dieing

I have never heard of the cable fixing the issue , but something i will try if it happens to another keyboard.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds