oracle 9i services

Discussion in 'Software' started by unclematty, Oct 30, 2003.

1. unclematty

unclematty Private First Class

Oracle is a hog! It slows down my cpu so much. Do you know of anything that i can do to increase performance?

I understand that I can set all of its services to 'manual' so that they dont all start at startup. But after doing this, when i try to run it, it will not connect.

Do you know of anything that handles the oracle services that might help me out?

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

what platform are you running it on.

I'm no Oracle guru by any means but I do know that Oracle is a beefy DBMS.

3. unclematty

win xp pro
    1gb ddr400 dual channel
    2.4 P4 HT

4. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

Oracle is usually meant to be run on ti's own database server with other applications querying it remotely. It's very intensive, but also pretty damn good :)

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

very true.. though it appears that he's on pro which would lead me to believe this is a testing platform.

6. unclematty

i am using it for testing and i only have one box. so i have to deal with what i have.

let's say i find another box. i install win 2000 server, oracle 9i, how would i then connect to it?

If i would be using my regular box as the client, would i need terminal service? How could i run qurries with my computer on Oracle(other box)?

Thanks

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

what application are you using with oracle?

you'd have to configure the app to connect the oracle server via an IP or UNC or server name etc.

if you're programming then you'll need a connection string.. depends on what language that you're programming in though.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds