How do you geeks like your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Xernicus, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Xernicus

Xernicus Private E-2

Now I don't know about you guys, but I love my coffee.

I started drinking coffee when I was nine, and since then I've worked at two different coffee shops as a barista, and nowadays I drink a pot (or two...) a day.

But what I'm curious about, is how do you like it? Maybe it's that kick of your favorite bean that gets you going, or the creaminess of steamed milk to relax you into your day... but if any of you are like me, that caffeine is what keeps us powered through the day.

So here's my daily coffee routine:
    - I grind 12 cups worth of San Francisco Bay French Roast.
    - Put the coffee in the filter using a ratio of one tablespoon per cup
    - Throw eight cups of water into the chamber
    - Brew
    - Pour into my thermos
    - Bring to my desk and enjoy. :3

I'll do my best to try everything you guys list here (I like trying different things), but I can't make any promises with budget constraints and all that. ;)

Oh, and I might pass on tasting any instant coffee... In my experience, if you've tasted one, you've tasted them all. :p

I look forward to hearing for you!

2. hilfenhaus

hilfenhaus Private E-2

Yep, I love my coffee too. Fortunate enough to have a pretty amazing coffee machine available to me as part of my business! Flat white every morning for me. Nice and strong and sugary! I'm from the UK and love my Jamaican coffee.. Been fortunate enough to try Balinese too, amazing stuff but seriously expensive.

3. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

A while back there was a lively discussion on here about coffee and coffee makers. There are some people here who are very serious about this stuff! Some have very fancy makers and such.
    I love a good cup of coffee but I don't have an expensive coffee maker nor do I grind my own beans. I like my coffee fresh brewed, very hot, with a little cream and sugar. Occasionally I like a flavored coffee.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

With cream, sugar, and the delicious tears of my enemies.

5. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I used to drink at least two pots of thick, black coffee a day. I cut back. Well, that's an understatement. I now drink coffee maybe a few times a year, and I've hardly substituted other types of caffeine for it. The bonus to doing that is when I need a cup of coffee, it actually works to keep me awake!

How I take it depends on the quality of the coffee. I don't much make it at home any more since there's no point, so I am at the mercy of whatever is being served at work. Which means I typically add at least three sugars and ideally whatever they're passing off as creamer, because with enough sugar you can choke anything down (the business model for Starbucks, near as I can tell).

6. Maine

Maine Private E-2

I brew cheap coffee at home before work and then gas station coffee on the way to work. That second cup I sip from all day and I never reheat it. Since I work outdoors that second cup gets a bit chilly in the Winter....like sometimes an ice slushy chilly. But I drink it. Some people are inexplicably horrified by that for some reason.

7. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

I have a Saeco coffee machine and get 1kg bags of freshly roasted beans from a local roaster. The roaster does many styles and different blends and my favourite is one called Suuweet. This blend won him the silver trophy against 300 competitors at the National Coffee Roasting Competition several years ago.In the last 5 years he has won 18 trophies in major competitions and also in several different categories so he makes a quality product which I can pick up direct from the factory door at a special cash price ;)

I usually have my coffee either as a flat white or a latte and usually have three short shots and the rest hot milk in a large mug. My wife prefers cappuccino and has a bit more milk and only two shots. :cool :yum

8. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

My grandmother once told me that good coffee should be like a good man.

Strong, rich, smooth, and keeps you up all night.

9. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Or like a good woman.

Sweet, rich, smooth, and keeps you up all night. :drool

10. Bob D.

Bob D. Majorgeeks official old fart

Majorgeeks official old fart likes his coffee a little on the strong side.
    non dairy creamer and Splenda.

11. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

More importantly for me is the mug, I like a BIG mug so I am not running back for more. I currently use a beer stein with my family crest.
    BTW, I have working hands, size 14 - 14.5 ring, when Wifey picked up our wedding rings the guy asked "that's a huge ring, you marrying a gorilla?". She said "No and he will be in to talk to you." Coffee cups often have small handles.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  12. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

I have maybe one or two cups a week, depending on what job sites I go to and what kinds of coffee they have there :p

I rarely drink my own coffee, but when I do, it's late at night on the weekend, and it's this mixed with some of this.

13. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

I like a cup or 2 but I mainly drink water and plenty of it. Been told to drink at least 8 pints a day.

But if I do have my coffee I like it black with 2 sugars.

14. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I'm a double or triple espresso person, I love coffee that the spoon stands up in, weirdly I don't mind strong instant coffee and if it goes cold! is ok also.

Tending to try and limit my caffeine intake and love herbal tea's

15. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Black, with some Hershey's syrup.

Bet most of you haven't tried that before...

16. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Nope, but I will now. I do quite regularly put a packet of instant hot cocoa in a cup of coffee. That's pretty tasty.

17. Anon-9aee479f8f

Not used chocolate syrup but I have added 1 package of instant hot chocolate to a cup of coffee and I liked it.

18. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I have . . . it's good.

19. Mimsy

No, and I have no plans to since Hershey's syrup would make the coffee way too sweet. Yuck.

I do occasionally put a piece of dark chocolate in my (hot) coffee and stir until it's fully melted. That is very good. :yum

20. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

I drink FAR too much of it, at the moment I'm enjoying Machu Picchu from Peru. Yum.....

21. Bob D.

Bob D. Majorgeeks official old fart

Did you mean Sumatran kopi luwak? Beans pooped by civets.

22. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I prefer Columbian Supreme with half and half and a sugar substitute called Sweet One. I drink 4 — 6 mugs of it per day (absolutely need 2 mugs of it in the morning).

When I was working, I used to have iced mocha in the afternoon and there was a coffee roastery in the mall across from where I worked. I tried Tanzanian Teaberry from the roastery once and went into palpitations — I never had it again.

23. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

They have elephants in Peru? :confused

24. Anon-9aee479f8f

25. DavidGP

Ok whats this Hershey's syrup? guessing without searching the google gods! that its USA only product and is it like sugar?

26. Anon-9aee479f8f

It is chocolate syrup. We put it on ice cream and make chocolate sundae, put it in milk and make chocolate milk, or heat it and pour it over chocolate cake and make a warm mess that taste wonderful with ice cream and whipped topping.;)

27. DavidGP

Ahhh cheers for the explanations but for me would be too sweet I personally like coffee like mug of espresso

Wondered why I'm wired like a coil!!!!

28. mdonah

It also comes in a squeeze bottle with additional flavors — Strawberry and Caramel — primarily for icecream.

29. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Hersy's syrup is just undercooked fudge. That's one way of making it at home, matter of fact.

30. DavidGP

ok you folks are making me sort of seek it out in the UK now..... I hate sweet things but do like knowing what something is like.

31. Anon-9aee479f8f

Make yourself a Chocolate Milk Shake when you find it.:yum

32. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Starbucks calls an extra Caramel Frappacino a "Felony Caramel Frap."

[​IMG]

33. DavidGP

Ah now there is making a chocolate milk shake McD's style and then the proper way, which one is best?

But dont know why it didnt dawn on me that a Starbucks is across the road from the hospital I work in and less than 2mins from my office :p

34. Anon-9aee479f8f

I personally like the old fashion milk shake that is just milk, syrup, and ice cream mixed together. McD'd is just OK but that whipped topping they put on it is nasty stuff, if you leave it in the cup it never even melts. I think that tells you it is not meant for human consumption. LOL

35. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

roflmao I was just going to say that when I saw the post about McDonald's milkshakes!! What are those things made of?

Oh, and I like my coffee with half and half and sweet and low. If I'm getting Starbucks, I only like their Skinny vanilla latte. I hate their coffee so it has to have lots of milk in it.

36. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

Probably not real milk, that's for sure :puke

37. DavidGP

Noticed someone in the Starbucks next to work with a Caramel Frappacino, thought way way too sweet for me and diabetes is calling!!

38. mdonah

Yeah but, diabetes wouldn't be caused by just having one caramel frappacino/day. Mine was caused by constantly eating things like doughnuts, pastries, almond rings, etc. If only I knew then what I know now, especially about how diabetes ravages you — skin, eyes, kidneys, legs...

39. Kestrel13!

I feel like I'm still speeding from all the filter coffee I necked yesterday...so it's instant for me today rolleyes:-D

40. DavidGP

I know I was being sadly flippant!

In reality diabetes is caused by a number of things and not just having a sweet tooth. Only just asked you a question on diabetes in the cataract thread, before knowing this.

41. DavidGP

So your like Zoom Zooom Zoom today around the house and keyboard!

42. Kestrel13!

I did ALL the housework yesterday, the place is gleaming :-D Today I'm going to be relatively lazy LOL

43. DavidGP

So more like Zo over Zoooom!

You take it easy Emms and have a great weekend, thats what I'm doing as this is start of a weeks annual leave from work for me!

44. Floradaniel

Floradaniel Private E-2

I use one of the very fine mesh cup tea filter/strainers, that fit into the cup, after first boiling a cinnamon stick (microwave when in a hurry) in the water for a few minutes. Any decent coffee goes in the filter, into the cup, with the hot cinnamon water and voila, cinnamon coffee. No sweetener is better than cinnamon to me. Occasionally I add unsweetened baking cocoa powder for cinnamon chocolate coffee. Instant fresh. When going to a drum circle, I'll put some sticks in a percolator and double percolate the coffee, mix in the cocoa and re-use a liter bottle for portability; hot in winter; cold in summer. Also makes a good hand warmer/cooler.
    Good to meet you all.

45. Kestrel13!

Enjoy your coffee, and your time off, David ;)

46. Mimsy

This sounds delicious! :yum

Thanks for the detailed description, I'm definitely going to give this one a try! I love cinnamon.

47. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

With chocolate.

Lots, and lots of :*** chocolate...

:-D

48. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

I like my coffee any way that you make it. Black. With cream and sugar. Just cream. Just sugar. I like it all!

49. GeekyFace

GeekyFace Private E-2

I used to take tons of cream and sugar, but for the last 2 weeks or so I've taken it black. Very nice!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds