Win 7 crashes even in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leofitz, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Leofitz

Leofitz Private E-2

My ASUS N55S laptop running Win 7-Ultimate, has begun crashing regularly or restarting with message that it recovered from serious error. Three months ago I reinstalled Win7 with basic software from an image taken with Macrium. The image was taken in January after a fatal crash. Before saving that image I re-installed Windows from disk and manually installed all drivers and past MS system updates. I thought I had a fresh setup. But now I can't eve look at my folders in Safe mode without a freeze then dump and blue screen with the messages seen on the attached photos.

Other software I'm running has been Wise 365 system care, Avast free AntiVirus, Malwarebytes Anti-malware. I do have Driver Toolkit but I haven't taken its advice to update drivers after one driver I updated for the Realteck speakers, shut down my sound.

Yesterday I did run a different driver scanner and OK'd one driver update on Logitech mouse as the mouse had been acting poorly.

I do regular scans to try keep malware off the computer.

The blue screen warning advises turning off shadow caching in the BIOS but I thought I'd post my problem here before messing with the Bios.

I do have a good Win7 Repair disk but when I booted from it today in Safe Mode it didn't recognize that I had a hard drive !! The disk has been tested and worked in the past.

Any advice and assistance will be appreciated !!

Attached Files:

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

All symptoms are consistent with a hard disk on the way out. The disk manufacturer's website should have a tool you can download and run to check its performance. Would also be a good idea to get your personal stuff backed up ASAP.

4. Leofitz

Leofitz Private E-2

Thanks AltBo and Earthling for your replies. I found that when I logged in through a secondary user profile I could carefully navigate and was able to backup the most important files. Then there was an error message and then a blue screen crash and dump. I'll try to go back in again and get a full backup with Macrium.

I attached the error report.

I checked the install date of the app you mentioned, 'Drive the Life', and it was Feb 10, 2015. My image was made before that so after I backup, I'll try to restore to the before install date. The Win restore function has never worked well for me so I'm guessing either it won't work or will crash. But I'll give it a try.

After that,if I can log into Windows, I'll try and run a disk check as suggested.

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

5. Leofitz

Leofitz Private E-2

AltBo and Earthling,
    Sorry for the time lag in my reply. I had a big project due which I completed on my second computer. Now back to fix the ASUS N55S.

I've always had problems with the Win7 system restore function working. It had a restore point saved before the software in question (Drive the Life) was installed. Unfortunately when I tried to restore the system, it couldn't find the backup data. Any suggestions on how to remedy that?

I have backed up all important documents and ran a check disk scan using the CheckDiskGUI software recommended on your site. It ran through a scan and didn't list any bad sectors, just '77 re-parse records processed' (?) The log file is attached.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

6. Earthling

As your disk is fine then I would say your best bet is another reinstall, preferably clean this time rather than from an image. It might be best to avoid driver updaters and all-in-one system tuneup tools, at least until you are sure you have a stable system. Sometimes the hard way is the only way.

7. Leofitz

Leofitz Private E-2

I had a similar problem back in February and posted my issues on a thread on this site. My final post was here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=1903693&postcount=16

In February I re-installed Win7 and the Macrium image was taken right after a fresh re-install. So I'm wondering what I can do different if I start again from a fresh install.

On the linked post I detail how I had to do a two step install of Win 7; first Win7-HomePremium, then an Anytime Upgrade to Win7-Ultimate. The reason was that I bought the ASUS in Ukraine and the original Win7 OS-HP was in the Russian language. I bought the ultimate upgrade to be able to install English.

The original problem was that Windows Explorer was crashing regularly.

So I wonder;
    1.) is the Anytime Upgrade to Ultimate where a glitch came in? or,
    2.) were my downloaded drivers corrupted? or,
    3.) ?

What would your advice be? Just stop with the W7 Home Premium-English and skip the Ultimate upgrade? Use specific drivers that you recommend?

Last time when I tried to follow what would seem ideal procedure, using drivers from ASUS, I found that they're missing the essential Qualcomm Atheros Ethernet Controller driver needed for Internet connection! Perhaps others. I found the Ethernet driver on Driverscape.com

Your advice will be appreciated!

8. Earthling

My suspicion is that your problems trace back to using an OEM disk from a different computer for the initial install as it may have installed something inappropriate for the ASUS machine. We all know what OEM disks are like for installing additional features. I can only advise to get a genuine Win 7 installation disk and I'm sure your issues will not come back. Or could you upgrade to Win 10 perhaps?

9. Leofitz

Leofitz Private E-2

Finding an original Win7-English CD here is difficult as all new computers come with Russian versions pre-installed. I think I downloaded my English Win7-HomePrem OS media from digitalriver, then used my OS key printed on bottom of my laptop. Is there a site you recommended for uncorrupted OS media? Again, my key is legal is printed on my laptop.

About Windows 10; this is free, is that correct? Has it been tested and is stable? I read somewhere that it has built-in functions to track all activity of its users?

10. Earthling

If you still have the Digital River d/load use that, but all those Win 7 d/loads have since been removed and I don't know of any now. There's always Ebay etc.

Win 10 is free for anyone currently running a legitimate copy of 7 or 8/8.1.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

11. Leofitz

Leofitz Private E-2

I can't believe I'm back here!! I finally located a Win7-Home Premium OEM disk and did a clean install on my drive, erasing everything previously there. After the W7-HP English OS was running for a few days I went through the activation process and multiple MS updates until finally the "Upgrade to Win 10" icon showed up in the task bar.
    I downloaded and installed Windows 10. For three days I've run Win10, adding just a couple software apps plus Malwarebytes, Avast antivirus. All worked AOK.
    Today noticed there was no sound so began troubleshooting to see if the driver was up to date. Went to Device Manager, found Sound controller, and deleted the Realtek sound driver. Then selected the DM menu Action/Scan for hardware changes. I restarted the computer but only got a basic blue screen with the digital clock showing and a couple nav icons lower right. I waited 20 minutes and no Start menu showed up so powered off. Then powered back on. Same incomplete startup with blue background dig clock but no Start menu.

I thought, I'll just let it sit and load.... After 20 minutes it crashed, restarted with white text, "Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot... !!! I made sure the BIOS is set to boot with the hard drive.

What could be wrong? I'm back to five weeks ago. Time to test the hard drive? The laptop is two years old.

Could you suggest what I should test next? I'm tempted to open the window and test how far I can frisbee throw it!
    Thanks

12. Leofitz

Leofitz Private E-2

Here's the Win 10 blue screen

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds