New job/sorta

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by theefool, Jul 25, 2015.

1. theefool

theefool Geekified

Yep, I'm being promoted to being Director of IT at where I work. Interim though, since I don't think I can do it. But I'm doing it for the team.:cry

I just wanted to post here since I think I can do well, but filling the shoes of the previous director will be hard for my own personal morale.

I was born to be a system administrator, but director? That is going to be hard transition.

Any thoughts on how I should progress here? I don't post here much, but I wanted other opinions.

Essentially, my guts are twisted and I don't want this, but I have to take it. For my team.:)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Wow congrats!!! NEVER think you cannot do the jobs as you need to look over a few weeks at the processes of the job then use your own unique talents to shape the job to what you think it should be to direct others in the IT dept to do, no job is perfect and those that run the depts are not prefect and things can be done better or smoother, up to you to make change as I believe you can give LOADS to this job.

I deal with medical studies and medical diagnostic clinics in my daily job but I deal with IT alot as most if not all of our work is done via computer systems, so taking that onboard I do look and type up reports on how things can be better managed and new tools used, what you likely need to do is to give yourself a few weeks and see the process of the job and I have no doubt you have ideas for making the dept work better, ask the staff for ideas, involve them as it helps build a team.

Currently I have shaped a medical study to newer ideas than the senior medics thought as I have a different approach to them, took 6 months and cross UK/USA chats but the method and thinking has changed as of Friday just gone!!! finally finished a medical study protocol, I've been working on.

So in a nutshell, you can do this work I have confidence in your abilities, I know as a director its different as a management role, but chat to staff and take on new ideas and you will do really well.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

Thanks, I needed that.

Well, lets see how it goes.

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Anything that comes along is an opportunity! Take the one they are offering you and work your butt off.

They obviously think you can do it if they are putting you in that role. Congrats. :)

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Sounds like some big shoes to fill. I'm sure you will be fine.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

So hows the first week gone?

I guess if you have started in the jobs its finding who does what then thinking 6 months down the line what will I do better.... I do this all the time, review all job processes and change then, folks may not like it but know what... TOUGH!! but in seriousness I do consult all and we make a joined up change to how we work, it basically in to help patients and flow of clinics.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds