What is the difference between Adaware and AVG antispyware?

Discussion in 'Software' started by addifan, Feb 10, 2008.

1. addifan

addifan Private E-2

Is one better then the other at finding and removing spyware?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The main difference is that AdAware is free forever, but doesn't provide any active real-time protection in the free version. AVG Antispyware offers real-time protection free for 30 days. After the trial period, it will only scan for and remove spyware. You must purchase a registration key to continue the real-time protection. They are both good at detecting spyware, but AdAware seems to find more stuff. Now, alot of this 'stuff' isn't necessarily bad stuff; many safe cookies are picked up by AdAware. Different spyware scanners will find and remove different things, so one isn't necessarily 'better' than another, they're just different from each other. When I run thorough scans, I use several different tools, not just one or two. As each different tool finds different items, the more different scans that are run, the more thorough the cleaning.... and when it comes to spyware scanning, I strongly recommend SUPER Antispyware. It's been my experience that it has one of the best detection and removal rates among the free scanners. But, no single application gets everything. Here's the link to SUPER Antispyware if you're interested: http://www.majorgeeks.com/SUPERAntiSpyware_d5116.html They have a paid 'Pro' version that offers full-time active protection.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds