Help!My control panel won't open

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigrob2005, Dec 15, 2004.

1. bigrob2005

bigrob2005 Private E-2

I am currently running windows XP. Everytime I try to open the control panel not only does the control panel not open but my entire desktop refreshes itself every time.What's wrong and how can I fix it?Anything is helpful.

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Try this:

1. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL, and then click Task Manager.
    2. Click the Processes tab, and then click the Conime.exe process.
    3. Click End Process, and then click Yes to confirm.
    4. Close Task Manager. Now try to open the control panel.

If this is successful see this article, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;843551

Steve

3. bigrob2005

bigrob2005 Private E-2

There was no Conime.exe in the processes of the task manager. I just tried to open it 3 times. It opened the first and second time but when I clicked on one of the icons the control panel closed and the desktop refreshed itself. The third time it didn't even open. The desktop just refreshed itself.

4. bigrob2005

bigrob2005 Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestion Matacumbie. I wish it would've worked. I do have good news though for myself and those that are having the same problem with XP. There's a windows update that will correct the problem. I just now downloaded the updates to my computer and the problem to the control panel was fixed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds