Printer Sharing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jamepc, Jan 21, 2005.

1. jamepc

jamepc Private E-2

I am trying to get my Printer Sharing working but having problems. I have 2 computers wirelessly peer to peer networked (they are sharing an Internet connection now) and I would like to share a printer. I ran the Network Wizard, and properly named the workgroup, computer name and computer descriptions on both computers. I have File and Printer Sharing enabled, the "Share This Printer" checked but it wont show up when I browse for it in "Add A Printer Wizard".
    On one computer I can see both computers in "View Workgroup Computers" but when I try to "View Workgroup Computers" on the other computer I get a message, "Calder is not available, you may not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrtor of this server to see if you have access permission."

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thank you

2. jamepc

jamepc Private E-2

The firewall was blocking it! I did shut down PC Cillin's firewall to test it before but I didn't know that XP's firewall turned on automatically when I did that. I verified it by doing it again and sure enough it comes on automatically when PC-Cillins is turned off.

I tried printer sharing with XP's, PC Cillin's and Zone Alarm's firewalls and all of them block it, even when set to allow sharing.

I also have to turn all firewall's off on the host computer for this one to be able to print on the shared printer. Since I connect to the web via a Linksys Router, do I really need the firewalls turned on?

Thanks again!

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

4. Dude1010101

Dude1010101 Corporal

i have a printer hooked up to me and i share it with other computer.(1 for now) on my sisters computer i make the connection or just copy it from my network places but i swear everytime she or i restart i have to do it again. why won't it hold?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds