W2K-Boot Prob-Config\System Corrupt

Discussion in 'Software' started by jaymon, Mar 12, 2007.

1. jaymon

jaymon Private E-2

Hello all,
    I have a system that won't boot into Windows. It start loading Windows, then comes to a screen (no blue screen) Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINNT\system32\config\SYSTEM

... then it goes on about repairing this using the W2K CD. I've done this 3 times, but still gives me the same error. Anyone have any clues? Thanks for any help.
    ~ JMON

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

3. hendrik

hendrik Private E-2

Hi, experienced the same last week.

error ending on SYSTEMced.

This error is actually recoverable within 5 minutes. All you need if your original Windows installation CD.

1. Use the Windows 2000/XP CD-ROM start the computer. (Boot from CD....)
    2. When you see the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R for "repair."
    3. Press C to run the Recovery Console tool.
    4. Select the installation that you want to repair. (1. C:\Windows or C:\WINNT, usually)
    5. Type the administrator password. (the original password when you first installed)

6. Once you've reached the console command prompt... it's a few easy command lines.

cd system32\config
    ren system system.old
    copy system.alt system
    exit

System should reboot... and most of the time, you should be able to boot back normally.

Your registry or hive was corrupted when you didn't shut down properly... or interrupted the shut down/start up process .... or installed something that totally fvcked up your system. Whichever...

Fortunately, Windows does save a copy of your system config as an ALT file. So what this did was to replace the working config with the backup.

Voila...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds