computer freezes when I switch users

Discussion in 'Software' started by campguy, Sep 10, 2009.

1. campguy

campguy Private E-2

Hi,

I am having a problem on my windows PC. Running XP home edition.
    Everything boots fine, but if I try to switch users it freezes. It will successfully switch users only when I fully log off of one user and log on to another.

I recently downloaded sugarsync manager and the problem seemed to start there. I have since removed that program, but the problem remains.

Help!

2. jblim1980

jblim1980 Private First Class

3. campguy

campguy Private E-2

Thanks for your reply.

I ran CC cleaner and tuneup and that was apparently needed since it cleared A LOT of junk.

However, if did not solve the problem. It appears that there is some kind of conflict in the startup programs, be/c when i disable everything there, I avoid a freeze. Instead, I get a restore active desktop message for the user I am switching to. When I attempt to restore the active desktop, I get a message about a problem with Internet Explorer script...I removed IE from the unit a while ago.

Any ideas?

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

There is no way to remove IE. It is joined at the hip to windows. You may have downgraded to a different version but you have IE 6, 7 or 8 on your computer if you are running XP.

5. jblim1980

I agree... IE can't be remove.. Im just curious How did you do that/?

6. jblim1980

Have you tried system restore?

7. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Try this
    In the User Accounts screen, click Change the way users log on or off.
    Uncheck the box next to Use Fast User Switching.

Then, click Apply Options.
    Do a reboot , then reactivate then do a reboot and try fast switching

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds