Editing filenames box closes too quickly

Discussion in 'Software' started by johndh, Jul 29, 2009.

1. johndh

johndh Private E-2

I'm using up to date Win XP pro on a 1 year old Dell laptop with 2gb ram and lots of harddrive space.
    When I am editing filenames in Windows Explorer the editing box closes very quickly (under five seconds) if I do not keep entering characters, typically before I can finish editing the filename. The system did not used to do this.
    I cannot associate it with the installation of any software. I have used McAffee Security Center for virus protection and disabling for more than a year and disabling it does not affect the problem.
    I've run system mecahnic and registry cleaners, all to no avail.
    I sure would appreciate some help with this.
    John D-H

2. johndh

johndh Private E-2

Another symptom, drop down menu's often do not stay down long enough to make a selection.
    John D-H

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Just a very quick question and thought to try to help narrow this down maybe,

1. What service pack level is your XP at RTM, SP1, SP2 or SP3?
    2. What types of files are you trying to rename, text docs, movies, music?
    3. If you watch movies on your PC, have you installed a Codec pack and if so what one?
    4. Boot into Safe Mode (F8 at boot) and see if the box stays open longer to allow a change of name to a file.

4. johndh

johndh Private E-2

Thanks for the help.
    1. XP SP3
    2. renaming txt docs and jpegs
    3. I don't watch movies on the PC
    4. I'll try the Safe Mode.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds