Building a New PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JohnottaGeek, Jan 15, 2006.

1. JohnottaGeek

JohnottaGeek Private E-2

I have been a user for 10 years. I am now running a 486 Dell XP T500, 11Gig
    Hard Drive, 256k Ram, Win 98 SE. It's old. I want to build a HUMMER and use
    some of my old hardware if possible. I have a 21" Trinitron Monitor and have a
    Altec Lansing ADA 880 Dolbyy Digital Multi-channel surrond sound speaker system.
    I would like to spend $500 to $600, but am not Geek enough to know what components to buy that would give the most bang for the bucks.
    Help!!!!!
    JD

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Hi and welcome to MajorGeeks.

You can't, and certainly shouldn't, use any of your old hardware. (apart from things like monitor and speakers etc) It's not really compatible with modern stuff.

What do you use the PC for?

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

A thought is to go barebones getting good quality parts, then add in better as you go. If you get a good case with a fast motherboard and processer and video card, this could eat up a chunk of change alone. Try shopping barebones at places like tigerdirect.com to get an idea. Buying a Nforce shipset might save you big money now as you can get them with decent onboard graphic cards, which can be disabled to add a better graphics card later.

4. JohnottaGeek

JohnottaGeek Private E-2

My wife, less than novice computer user, has a greeting card program that she uses almost daily for making GREAT looking cards to send to her friend.
    I use it for E-mails, I watch DVD's on it, my 21" Trintron, I have the sound system with the subwoofer that makes it a great experience. I also do some graphics work, buisness cards and I did at one time make a layout for a company newspaper on it. I occasionally play a game or two, but I am not an online gamer. I also love to load photos of my grandkids and play and print them.
    I have a TV tuner in my machine now, but I did not get great reception with rabbit ears and have yet to hook a line from my direct tv dish to it but that is a future possibility.
    Jd

5. JohnottaGeek

JohnottaGeek Private E-2

I have used a computer for many years. I got a motherboard from a frienf, and got back
    my first mimi tower from my first 286 computer. I have a 150 watt power supply from another geek friend and now I need 1-video card, 2-cd/dvd read-write drive 3- ram, 4-a
    hard drive....
    I think????

6. JohnottaGeek

JohnottaGeek Private E-2

Sorry,
    I do not do heavy gaming, mostly e-mail, making photos of grandkids, and mp3's.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds