Outlook send/receive not working

Discussion in 'Software' started by paulbeagle, Jun 5, 2010.

1. paulbeagle

paulbeagle Private E-2

I suddenly have problem with outlook sending and receiving messages. Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not. I've run cccleaner, super-anti-spyware, and no change. I'm using outlook2003 and an IMAP email address through office live.
    Any advice?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Outlook and IMAP I understand, but where does Office Live fit into the picture, it's just storage space?

3. paulbeagle

paulbeagle Private E-2

Yes, MS Office Live - it's the host for my email.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

5. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Private E-2

When it fails to send or receive does it give you an error message? And if so, please post it.

6. paulbeagle

paulbeagle Private E-2

I do not pay for my use of office live.

The error messages seem to vary. These seem to be most prevalent, and recent: (oh, and I cannot find any Sync Issues folder!)

Time: 6/5/2010 5:27:05 PM
    Error in Mail
    Error with Send/Receive.
    Look for a log in the Sync Issues folder.

Error in Mail
    Error with Send/Receive.

Error in Mail
    Error with Send/Receive.

Time: 6/5/2010 5:27:07 PM
    Error in Calendar
    Synchronization error.
    An unknown error occurred. Some items may not have synchronized with the server : Brandes - 90 Days - Deadline for Discovery Cutoff

Error in Calendar
    Synchronization error.
    An unknown error occurred. Some items may not have synchronized with the server : Brandes - 60 Days - Deadline for Discovery Cutoff

Error in Calendar
    Synchronization error.
    Unable to synchronize item : Brandes - DC - Deadline for Discovery Cutoff

7. Earthling

An IMAP account simply syncs IMAP folders on your desktop with IMAP folders on an ISP's server, and as Office Live is not an ISP I'm still struggling to understand the Office Live connection.

Also, the free Office Live addin to Office on your desktop does not provide any Outlook capablity, only Word, Excel and Powerpoint, so more confusion.

A bit more infoo is going to be required to resolve this.

8. paulbeagle

paulbeagle Private E-2

Well I don't really understand IMAP, Popmail, etc. Here's what I know:

I use the MS Office Live Small Business to host my domain name and website: www.SeattleLawandMediation.net. I have my email through my domain via OfficeLiveMail/Hotmail. I access email via the web through OfficeLive and through Outlook via my computer, and through MSMobile/hotmail via my phone. I recall I had some difficulty setting up Outlook with my Officelive email account because it wasn't popmail. Outlook shows it as IMAP. I am not sure what other information I can provide. Thank you.

9. Earthling

That clarifies your setup, thank you, though the only help I can offer is to explain that your Outlook account has to be IMAP rather than POP so that the messages remain on the server, always accessible whichever method of access you use. A POP account would download the messages to the PC and that would then be the only way they could subsequently be accessed.

Has Outlook previously been working completely satisfactorily in this setup? If not then based on my personal experience of IMAP in Outlook I would simply say your problem doesn't surprise me. After adopting IMAP I had to abandon Outlook, initially in favour of Windows Live Mail, which also didn't handle IMAP well, and finally to Thunderbird. which does.

If it has actually been OK up to now then I don't have any answers.

10. paulbeagle

paulbeagle Private E-2

Yes, it was working just fine up until about 10 days ago!
    Thanks anyways.

11. Earthling

As it's intermittent it has to be server problems I would say, and maybe it will sort itself. I would complain though.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds