Black Screen with blinking cursor

Discussion in 'Software' started by frankenfoamy, Jun 6, 2012.

1. frankenfoamy

frankenfoamy Private E-2

Tried to delete files on an SD card. Got a non descript error message. Tried to cancel and it hung up. Task manager to end process on explorer. After a min my normal desktop appeared. Got "explorer not responding" when I tried to open a folder. Restarted computer and it took a long time so hard shut down at power switch. On restart it went to dell splash screen for one sec and then the black screen with blinking cursor. Restarting with hitting F2 no change. F12 on restarts just beeps.

Disconnected all peripherals inculding all but one internal hard drive. No Change. Tried Vista disk with no change.

This seems similar to other posts except I can not reach bios or DVD
    Dell 410

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. frankenfoamy

frankenfoamy Private E-2

Thank you plor
    Beep only occurs when pressing F12
    The diagnostic lights are 1 2
    I removed the only expansion card ( firewire ) with no change.
    Then I disconnected the USB cord that goes to the built in USB ports on the monitor. That fixed it! This all started with an SD card not deleting.

Thank you everyone

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds