Are your downloads safe?

Discussion in 'Software' started by notbrilliant, Jan 22, 2015.

1. notbrilliant

notbrilliant Private E-2

Last night, I came here for the 1st time, and downloaded some things. As I am also new to a malware site that I am sure you all know, they have made a few recommendations for my computer. I have also been reading, and had some ideas what might make my computing safer.

So, last night, I saw a link and came here and downloaded. However, one download that was offered was rejected by my alerts as infected, dangerous and suggested I get back to safety.

Are you able to track activity that I did last night, since I wasn't registered yet? I am looking for that sample, to submit it.

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Yes, our downloads are all safe. Some include bundled junk, but it is stated in our downloads when they do that you have to go through the install process carefully and uncheck any add ons that are included. This is the way of freeware now and is independent of our site.

We do not track activity so do not have any idea what you would have tried to download.

Depending on what the software was that you were trying to install and what it performs on your system, it can trigger a false positive with some antivirus.

You can always use this site to check out any files before you install them: http://virusscan.jotti.org/en-GB

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

This is a null and a skewed negative those that do not know how the internet put out to scar folk, yes websites have tracking cookies and they watch where you click and go on a specific site, but they are NOT malware or harm you, they are data collection, just like a supermarket loyalty card!

To be honest we and most Gov agencies have no time or manpower to look at what a user is doing, don't get sucked into that FUD.

I'll be honest now and for this site, as you registered and posted now, we can see all your posts (but every member can, its open forum), we can as Admins know your registering info, BUT you gave that freely when signing up as you do to Gmail, your favoured shopping sites etc. You will give out more personal info on twitter or facebook then you do on general websites or forums like Majorgeeks.

As for the downloads, I test a lot and suggest a lot of apps to list and yes we do test the apps out so they are as safe as possible as in the malware sense, if you are going down the route of safe for PC, then no 3rd party app is safe as it depends on what you have installed and how you use your PC that can cause incompatibilities and crashes.

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

5. notbrilliant

notbrilliant Private E-2

I could not find nor remember which one warned me, was too tired, and found it today. It was Advanced System Care, I believe. I put on smart defrag, though, since no warnings on that one. Advanced system care put itself on. More later today, as I must leave for awhile. Thanks to all.:)

6. notbrilliant

notbrilliant Private E-2

I am not whining, I only brought this up at all, to help your forum, your community, not because I had a problem with what happened. I chose to not download, based on warning, but was trying to help with this post. please hope nobody thinks otherwise, or I would be off to a bad start here. Friends.

7. notbrilliant

notbrilliant Private E-2

I am extremely lacking in computer ability, but working hard to correct the lack of knowledge that I have. Thank you for this post, it will help me reply more clearly, and with having looked at some of the other replies, perhaps I had a 'false' warning, which I assume is a false positive? That very well could have been due to the AV program, or malware protectors that I have here. Perhaps a conflict. I have been at another respected malware site, and looking at what those persons do, in order to attempt to protect their machine. I came here by clicking a link one of the users had posted. I saw all you had to offer here and started browsing for what might help me keep my machine clean and organized and as I do not know how to back up, was looking at those programs, too.

So, to the best of my knowledge, these are the programs I downloaded. I took some off, when I had a computer problem, that is why it is ..'to the best' of my recall. This is the one that gave me a warning, 99.9% sure, and so, bypassed it. http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.php. here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/advanced_systemcare_8.html. I just went and looked at the logo at iobit, and that was it.

I also downloaded:http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/powershell_xp.html
    I also downloaded: smart-defrag-setup (1).exePaused
    http://majorgeeks.mirror.internode.on.net/drives/smart-defrag-setup.exe
    ResumeCancel: (smart defrag 3), which put this on by itself: advanced-systemcare-setup.exeCancelled
    http://files1.majorgeeks.com/40c58ee85cc790638034668b73f8b444/allinone/advanced-systemcare-setup.exe
    Retry downloadRemove from list

I also downloaded: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/pc_de_crapifier.html

I also downloaded: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/bvckup_2_beta.html, but did not run.

Computer configuration is: Operating System: Windows XP Pro, ver. 5.12600 SP3 Build 2600
    Architecture: 32-bit (x86)
    Computer Knowledge: Basic
    Last known malware infection: Never
    VM Malware Testing:
    No
    Number of users for this PC:
    I'm the only one who is using this machine (Private)
    User Account Control settings:
    Always notify
    Real-Time Protection: N/A
    On-demand Scanners: CCleaner
    Privacy software: none? Have McAfee Antivirus Plus installed
    Backup and Recovery: don't know
    Web Browser(s): Google Chrome
    Extensions and Plugins: ? Acrobat reader 5.0 and XI
    Any other software: Real Player, K-Lite Codec Pack, windows media player, music pig, transcribe!, Magix music, Amazing slow-downer, Nero, Audacity.

I am not sure what else I may offer that might help you, or perhaps, we should let this one just pass. If I was computer wiser, I would have taken a photo, or copied or something...the warning I was given. It could very well have been a conflict, from my computer.

I wouldn't hesitate to download from you again, not for an instant! I believe you are more than straightforward, honest and work your butts off. One person who replied seemed to take offense perhaps, but that was not any intent of mine. I also am straightforward, honest and upfront.

You explain if a site will try to attach more of its own goodies, and that means we're forewarned! I watched your video on how you screen and test programs, I wish I had 1/8th that ability!

Please let me know if I can help anymore. Thanks, notbrilliant

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I think you have the essence of the internet right and I wish more where like you, in question things.... do you download or not., you are right think! first then download.

You are on a good start with me, I like your train of thought and many here will also, they may debate your reasoning but that's good debate.

9. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Here's a simple screen capture utility that will allow you to capture the active window - like the message you saw. It has 6 different capture options. Ensure you download version 5.3 as it's the last freeware version.

http://www.oldapps.com/fast_stone_capture.php?old_fscapture=17

I use it in Windows XP & 7.

10. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

notbrilliant...

I second DavidGPs comment. At first, the whole spectre of operating a PC is a little bit overwhelming. I don't think it was always that way, but over the last decade we have seen a rise in the availability of free programs by the 10s of thousands, so it's become more complicated knowing what to trust.

Going to a message board forum like this one is a great place to start. If you would like to know more about good programs to use for your version of Windows, I recommend a Google search like this:

XP essential freeware

or

Windows must have programs (most will run in XP)

This will get you started with some good ideas that you can then test here on the message board. I think most of us here have tried hundreds or more of the freewares available. You will undoubtedly find some excellent comments and insights on installing and using any particular app/program.

On the topic of backup, you may do well to start a specific thread on how to create a backup strategy and how to select the best backup utility(ties) for your purpose(s). It's a very important topic, and I feel actually the most important element of PC use to get started with when it comes to responsible PC operation.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds