sharing .mp3's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scroogle, Dec 7, 2004.

1. scroogle

scroogle Private E-2

Hi, I am currently trying to share music between my 2-computer network (Switch, Win. XP and Right-Click->Sharing and Security). Some of the music files im trying to share work perfectly and i can listen to on both computers, except some, even though they show up, cant be played in WinAmp and WMP tells me its corrupt and in use. I am not using it on the other computer. What could the problem be?

2. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

Make sure that the files on the original computer are not corrupt first. If will not play them on the new computer then you might need a codec or something like that. The main thing is that they work on the original computer. Then you will know that the problem is with the new computer and we can work from there.

3. scroogle

scroogle Private E-2

No, the files work perfectly on the original computer. THere is nothing corrupt, its just that when their viewed through "My Network Places", some of them won't play. I also just figured that if i copy those original files into a different folder(shared), they will work(be shared). And i know its not the setting of the original folder 'cos some files DO work from there. Please help...

4. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

humm. thats strange. are they all mp3 format. maybe you will just hav to put the not working files into a new folder to get them to work.

5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

On the Pc they DO play on, what program are you using to play them?
    On the PC they DONT play on, what program?
    Were they files ripped on the PC they play on?
    If ripped, with what program?

6. scroogle

scroogle Private E-2

it;s not really like that, i have songs on both computers, and different ones on each. Some share from one to the other, and vice versa. The ones that don't, still show up yet wont play in winamp(it just skips them) and WMP says they're, quote: "Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file may be in use, you might not have access the computer you have stored them on, or your proxy settings are not correct." Whats annoying is that some do work!

7. foogoo

Ok that answered 1 question.. you use WMP on both? ( i thought win amp was mentioned)anyway ... lets try a new one...
    running any file sharing programs?

8. foogoo

Sorry that messages seems a little bitter when I re-read it... sry

that was not where I was headed..
    Ok .. you use WMP in all cases? ( i thought win amp was mentioned)anyway ..
    Songs ripped with WMP can be encoded for the specific machine - check the copyright settings.
    If you have file sharing running it can/may lock files people are downloading - hence making them unavailable to playback.

But if your sure that a file will play on one unit and the exact same song will not play on the other.. I am stumped for now.

9. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

hey if what scroogle is saying is true then if you put one of the songs that do not work on a cd (as the same format as on the pc) then it should not be able to be used on the other pc from the cd.

Try that out to see if those songs are encoded for that particualr pc.

10. scroogle

scroogle Private E-2

Good idea ill try that, except, when i copy the files to a different folder and share THAT folder, the songs work fine. All the time. So its not as though they're encoded. I know that this problem could be solved simply by copying my songs all over the computer, but it'd waste space, and I'd really like it if i could just directly share.

11. iamcanadian2222

iamcanadian2222 Private E-2

I'm having the exact same problem you are having. All of the files play on the computer sharing the files, but networked computers can't play some of them.

My problem sounds exactly like yours. Same message in WMP. They can view the files, but not play them. I was trying to see if there was any correlation in file-name or directory structure, but it seems somewhat random.

Post a reply if you ever figure out the problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds