security

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Software' started by peterr, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I just read a person say that they used an anti malware program in their phone but found it was using up the battery so uninstalled it. I was wondering if every couple of days it would be advisable and functional to scan the phone with the pc's malware program?
    Thanks

2. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

Most Android antivirus are full security suites and include more things that have nothing to do with antivirus then they do the antivirus itself. I use Dr.Web v.7 Anti-virus Light. It's a free and solid antivirus without the extra bloat so it's very light weight on system resources. It's not a real time antivirus meaning it only scans when you choose to run a scan and to me that's plenty. The main threat of Android is when installing apps but app scanning is covered with the SpIDer Guard.

Once installed you have to open it and activate the SpIDer Guard.

3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

What do you think of using your pc anti malware to scan your phone a couple of times a week?
    I certainly will look into your program and hank you.

4. evilfantasy

That will work just fine.

I do suggest having something installed that scans apps as they are installed. That is if the antivirus doesn't kill the battery or impact the performance of the device.

I've installed and uninstalled hundreds of apps and never set off the antivirus. As long as you download from Google Play then you have very good odds at not downloading something nasty.

5. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Using Google Play is a great suggestion. I download very little as my processor is entry level.
    Thank you

6. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    I found it odd that the following is on the notification in my inbox at live.com yet when I come to the MG site, it is not here.

This is the quote;

"So, try Playa Market
    There I downloaded Dr.Veb and MobileCare"

7. evilfantasy

That means the post was removed. It didn't add anything useful to the topic.

8. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I understand now.

9. Ninefifty

Ninefifty Private First Class

I use Comodo Mobile Security.
    A neat little trick I found recently is to let your phone have access to some air in your pockets.
    Mine is kept in a camera pouch attached to my belt and is part left unzipped open.

Never go anywhere without some kind of phone security.
    Your phone is a computer. Like your home computer you need to keep it protected.

10. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Just a quick heads up to RFID which is radio frequency ID and is a chip on many credit cards, You can ask to have it removed but it is going to be on all cards soon. You only have to touch a pad to a pocketbook for example and the data is transferred. Then swiping it into a credit card creator you can make a credit card out of your library card for example.
    They are selling sleeves but aluminum foil around the credit cards does the trick.

11. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

My cell phone's virus protection is called iPhone ;)

12. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

It is too bad we cannot have anti malware for our credit cards as we do for phones. :confused

13. evilfantasy

It's probably not out of the question. I've seen news reports of finger print technology being tested on credit cards and they already have computer chip technology available. Visa Pushing New Card Technology

14. willie5250

willie5250 Private E-2

I am looking for a good android cellphone finder app to download.Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds