Router Requires Login to Access Internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DABA, Jan 6, 2007.

1. DABA

DABA Private E-2

Hello all. I am new to your community and must say that I am enjoying the wealth of knowledge presented on this forum.
    Unfortunately, i have a problem. I have tried to help a friend sort out his various network issues but am coming up empty handed on a few. He has a small network of four computers, 1 wired and three wireless. they are running either xp pro or xp home and connect to the internet via a newer netgear router (wpn624, i believe). here are the issues,

1. After resetting his router to setup a network, the router now requires the wired pc to log in to the router each time it connects to the internet. it asks for the admin name and password of the router each time a connection is attempted. the wirelessly connected pc's do not require such a log in.

2. On one wireless pc, there are are four users, however, only one of those users can connect to the internet on said pc. the other three users on the same pc receive a limited or no connectivity message when logged on.

3. All four pc's belong to the same workgroup, yet one refuses to share it's files. you can view the other pc's files from this pc but sharing is just not happening.

Any help or suggestions would be incredibly appreciated. sometimes a fresh perspective can do a whole lot of good. many thanks!:D

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

3. DABA

DABA Private E-2

Thanks for the links. my friend has cable internet. do you think he should re-setup his network by first getting a working connection from the modem to the pc, reset the router, then run the router setup wizard? i just wonder if he missed a step and that is why the router requires a login each time a internet connection is made?
    thanks again!

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Did your take care of the Athentication.

Most Cable Internet authentcate by MAC number.

As for logining to the Router, take a look at the browser might be that it set so that the Home page is set to the Router's IP number. Change it to www.majorgeeks.com

5. DABA

DABA Private E-2

Sorry, no, i'm not at my friend's pc right now. by authenticating, do you mean plugging the pc directly into the cable modem, making sure i have an internet connection, then add the router in to the equation?

When the router asks him to login before he connects to the internet i thought the router was merely bringing him to the netgear setup page that looks like a web site. however, after logging in it does bring him to msn.com, his homepage. i have never seen a router do such a thing before.

thanks again for your help!:D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds