Ping utility not returning ANY result

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bootstrap, Dec 1, 2009.

1. bootstrap

bootstrap Private E-2

Thought I'd post about this odd one: I try to ping any device on the network (PC, router, modem etc) and ping does not return ANY result. None, just a single blank line then the command prompt again. e.g.

C:\>ping 10.1.1.1

C:\>

Very very odd! There are also other problems with intermittent internet access and strange logon stuff, I suspect some malware or similar, I've run Spybot but no change.

Running XP pro w/SP3, IE8, Firefox 3.5

2. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Private First Class

Several ideas of things to check and/or try (in order)... Does your computer have an IP address on the network? Does the network adapter indicate any problems in Device Manager? Are you running any kind of firewall on the workstation that does egress filtering and would be dropping the ICMP traffic? Can you ping if you boot in "safe mode" with network support? If you run a packet capture program like WireShark on the computer and perform a packet capture while attempting a ping do you see any ICMP requests go out?

3. bootstrap

bootstrap Private E-2

Thanks for the swift reply.

PC has a valid IP (statically to work with cable modem, which is directly connected to the PC only). There is a wireless card too, which connects to a wireless hub fine, though the PC can't ping anything via that either. Other computers can see the PC an the workgroup, but are prompted for a password when connections are made.

No problems with the NIC (and internet works *some* of the time).

Only using windows Firewall (tried with both on and off, same result).

I'll try the Safemode tonight (it's a B to do as the PS/2 kb don't work in Safemode for no reason, gotta go accessibility).

Awesome idea on Wireshark! I remember using that util back in uni for a networking lab. Tonight too.

It is strange as it seems like the ping command itself is broken/blocked/hijacked, not the network!

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

5. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Private First Class

If you type "PING /?" do you get the help screen? That may tell you if something is blocking the ping command. You might want to try running MalwareBytes on the computer if you've already tried SpyBot and suspect an infection.

6. bootstrap

bootstrap Private E-2

Hi Guys,

I've tried the "ping /?" to bring up the help screen (in both normal and safemode) it still returns nothing!

I've run a MalwareBytes Quickcan and it shows 33 infections, which have been removed.

I'll run a deep scan overnight, and post logs of them when done.

Network-wise it is working for about 2 minutes after the machine boots, then starts 'dropping pages' (returning a blank screen) when browsing. The result is the same on direct cable to the modem or over the (new this evening) wireless router.

Other problems include being unable to share files or an internet connection, the system now asks for a password on logon (I had previously used "control userpasswords2" to get around that), and remote connections also new require a password, though it doesn't matter if it is correct or not, it will not connect.

All other computers on the network are fine.

Thanks again for the help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds