Avira Antivir Personal Update problem solved

Discussion in 'Software' started by GCWesq, Sep 18, 2010.

1. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Avira Antivir automatic update stopped working a couple of months ago.

In my case the problem was that Avira Antivir Personal Version 10 was not compatible with running Open DNS.
    I have Windows XP SP3.

Symptoms:

Click on Update, Update box opens, timer counts for a few seconds to several minutes, then says:
    "An error occurred during the file download"

Report says:
    Download manager: The function WinINet::HttpSendRequest()
    'http://personal.avira-update.com/update/idx/master.idx' failed. Error: The server name or address could not be resolved

Many suggestions attempted to resolve issue over several months. Finally came across this site:
    http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=116163

The second solution offered by Jemarc2009 worked for me (I didn't try the first solution); the solution by the Moderator did not work.

In brief, the solution was to add the following to the Hosts file:

62.146.66.187 personal.avira-update.com personal.avira-cdn.com
    80.190.143.232 personal.avira-update.net
    80.190.143.229 perspeak.avira-update.com

The Hosts file is at:

%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc

Eg: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

I searched on the error text, and the text in the report, but it didn't lead me to the help I needed. Hopefully this post will fix that for some.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

GCWesq

Great post and full of easy to follow information, indeed this udpate issue has confuddled quite a few and to be honest, last thing I would have thought of was OpenDNS as a culprit,

Just to add some info for users of Vista and Windows 7, you will need to open the HOSTS file with an elevated Notepad to edit (just right click Notepad and choose Run as Administrator) or use Hostsman (free and a great app I use all the time).

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Good find, that's the same error I saw when testing Avira about 2 months ago, I use OpenDNS too.

I wonder if anyone informed OpenDNS about this?

4. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

The site at the link below seems to have originated from an OpnDNS forum, so I guess they know.

Come to think of it, it was the last thing I thought of too!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds