Write protection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tel., May 6, 2012.

1. Tel.

Tel. Private E-2

Hi guys,
    I took the hard drive out of a 'Sky satellite box' as I don't subscribe to them anymore. It's want it as a back up drive. However, I cannot format it as it's write protected. Could anyone explain in simple terms how I could overcome this problem. I don't need the files on the HDD.
    Many thanks.

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. Tel.

Tel. Private E-2

Thanks tgell,
    Downloaded the partition wizard but it cannot 'see' the drive. It's a 300GB Seagate and is working properly. Any ideas??

4. tgell

5. Tel.

Tel. Private E-2

Thanks again.
    Downloaded PW and wiped/etc. but i still cannot format the drive (won't react).
    I tried again in Windows to format but it's still telling me it is write protected.
    This is a b***er!
    Tel.

6. tgell

You created a partition after wiping, correct?

7. Tel.

Tel. Private E-2

Hi again,
    Sorry for delay. I have created a 290 GB NTFS partition with the balance 'unallocated' and pressed the format button. No reaction that I can see, so I tried twice more.
    What's wrong?

8. tgell

If you see 290GB and NTFS then the drive is formatted. Does the drive show up in Windows? You may have to give it a drive letter in Disk Management.

9. Tel.

Tel. Private E-2

Thanks for quick reply.
    The drive has an ID(F:). I have tried to format in windows(I have Win7), but it doesn't seem to work either. I'm going to try to copy some file to the disk to see if it's operational.

10. Tel.

Tel. Private E-2

Copied a file but no joy. In disk management the F: drive file system is 'RAW', I tried to format there but the same messages pop up:-
    It states that this is the active partition on the disk & do I want to format---

When I try, it tells me that all data will be erased, continue?

Then - The operation did not complete as the media is write protected.

There must be some encryption stopping the process. What are your thoughts?

11. tgell

12. Tel.

Tel. Private E-2

Many thanks, bear with me.
    There is a jumper on the drive - should I remove it?

13. tgell

If there is a jumper on the drive, then I do not believe you have a SATA drive. The computer sees the drive, so I would not alter the location of the jumper or remove it.

Can you tell me if this drive is Sata or IDE?

[​IMG]

14. Tel.

Tel. Private E-2

Definitely SATA. I thought I would copy the normal use back-up drive which does not have a jumper.

15. tgell

So, if I understand correctly, it is the SATA drive that was listed as RAW. The one you have from your Satellite box, correct? Then use the llformat tool to zero out the drive.

Which drive is the one with the jumper? You said that the normal use backup drive does not have a jumper. You wanted to copy the normal use backup drive. Are you saying you wanted to copy the normal use backup drive to the SATA Satellite box drive?

16. Tel.

Tel. Private E-2

OK I ran 'Killdisc' and this message came up:-
    Error: Access violation at 0x0041C82A (tried to read from 0X00000000), program terminated. I pressed OK. Do I only have one try?

When I said I wanted to copy things - it was only the external appearance(the jumper being there/not) of the normal use drive to the satellite box drive. The sbd is listed as RAW. I am not messing with the notmal use drive.

I will try the llformat tool.

17. Tel.

Tel. Private E-2

tgell,
    Before I do anything, I looked into disc management and my laptop HD is now Disc 0 and the satellite HD that I'm messing with is Disc 1.
    I cannot see the satellite HD in 'my computor' but my system/library files are fine on Disc 0.
    Is all well? what do I do now with Disc 1(I replaced the jumper after using Killdisc just in case).
    This is a marathon but I am enjoying the learning curve.

18. tgell

The jumpers on a SATA drive should not be moved. I believe if present, they are used for troubleshooting. How are you connecting the SATA Satellite drive. You have a laptop. Are you using a USB adapter?

As long as you are sure that the llformat tool is being done on the Satellite drive and not your system drive, you should be okay.

19. Tel.

Tel. Private E-2

The satellite back up drive is contained in an external 'caddy' and is connected to my laptop via a USB cable.
    I am currently running the llformat tool on the drive, it's going to take some time.
    I'll be in touch tomorrow. What will be the next step?
    I appreciate your patience.

20. tgell

Next step will be to partition and format the drive. You may be able to do this in Drive Management. If not try the bootable version or the windows version you installed of Partition Wizard.

21. Tel.

Tel. Private E-2

I partitioned the drive & created a simple volume and it is now assigned 'F:' which is fine.
    Is the drive operational now?

22. tgell

Yes, it should be. What does F say in Disk Management? It should say healthy and online.

23. Tel.

Tel. Private E-2

It says healthy & online.
    Started to copy files from the laptop HD to New Backup.
    Looking good, very many thanks tgell - you are a STAR!!!!

24. tgell

Great! Glad everything worked for you and thanks for the feedback. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds