Playing Without CD

Discussion in 'Software' started by SportsNut, Apr 17, 2004.

1. SportsNut

SportsNut Corporal

I have three games that I like to play often. I switch between playing each one quite often. But at the same time, I would like to have my CD player/recorder open for doing other things like playing music, etc. I only have one cd player.

I have heard there is a way to make a game think the cd is in the player so you can play it off the harddrive and still have your player open for doing other things. This would be wonderful for me as I wouldn't have to keep switching the game CD's and I could have my CD player open.

Could someone help me with this?

2. DanTekGeek

DanTekGeek Master Sergeant

ok, im going to be very carefull about how i put this. MA, if i go over a line, i am sorry

there are multiple programs that will copy a disks ISO to your hard drive. The problem with this is copyright issues. Some disks have such strigent copy protections, that the game play will degrade to a point where you can no longer play. A program that i have used, it it free. its callled soft disk

3. SportsNut

SportsNut Corporal

When I posted this, I didn't know that doing this was looked at like some kind of bad thing. After I posted the original question, I did some more in-depth searching and saw alot of posts about downloading "cracks" for each individual game and a few other things.

I guess I just don't understand why game makers want to make people "have" to have the CD inserted to play. I can understand if there are huge files and multiple CD's and some people may not have the room for all that on their harddrive, but why can't (or won't) they allow a FULL install on the drive and let you play it from the hard drive.

I mean all you have to have is a copy of the CD to play a game without buying it. They're not really stopping the "bad" guys, all they're doing is making things harder for the honest people.

Thanks for the reply DanTekGeek, I will check that out.

4. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Are you mentioning CodeMasters "copy protection"? because that was a total fake.

5. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Here is one from tigerdirect. My friend uses it and he says it pretty good.

Cooked

6. DanTekGeek

DanTekGeek Master Sergeant

yes, i am, and no, its not a fake, it happend to me

7. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Theres nothing wrong with backing up your own CDs to your hard drive, since you already own them. One program that I though was GREAT at this kinda thing was CloneCD, but thats outta production now.
    Daemon Tools is a good emulation program that i use myself, now called D-Tools.
    Also to find what emulation options you need, try ClonyXXL but its a bit dated so might not pick up on the newer kinds.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Interesting. I didn't believe it until I did a good amount of researching. But there are only two games with this protection.

What game would you be talking about, Dan?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2004
  9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

10. MaxWade

MaxWade Private E-2

I go to www.Gamecopyworld.com . Dload .exe file, replace old with new and prestoe it works. amazing!!!

11. acejones

acejones A Different Title

agreed with robo. I use alcohol 120% and I created a virtual disk drive and mounted the disk image on another partition on my hard drive.

12. Genius Boy

Genius Boy The Examinator

Daemon Tools is a program that I use to do exactly what you want to do on my computer. You have to rip the cd to an iso on your hard drive, and then you can use Daemon Tools to mount the image as a virtual cd drive. To your computer it's as if you suddenly gained an extra cd drive. You can then play the game without using any cracks or replaced exe files.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds