Problem with my wireless network Please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ehoffner168, Dec 7, 2004.

1. ehoffner168

ehoffner168 Private E-2

I just bought a dell laptop with a wireless card (intel 2200) and purchased a linksys wireless router. I did all the normal setup on the computer and router. My PC says it is picking up the wireless network and that I'm connected to the network, but when I open up my browser (Internet Explorer)I cannot get to any websites. When I hook the laptop up directly to the router (not through wireless) it works fine. My laptop says my connection is excellent and I have all the green bars and am connected at 54mbps when wireless. Is there something I need to do to my explorer or my setup to get the wireless network to let me on the internet through explorer?

All my other wired pc's will get on the internet fine! Thank you for your help!

2. 44039

44039 Private First Class

What IP address are you getting when you are "wireless?"
    What IP address are you getting when you are connected directly to the router?

Scott
    http://www.AAApcMechanic.com

3. UTFirefighter

UTFirefighter Private E-2

I have this exact same problem, except I cannot connect to the internet at all. When I click on "View available wireless networks" in my control panel, I get a "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. Where can I find what my IP address is?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

5. Lordelin

Lordelin Sgt. Nobody

I had the same problem and when I looked at my device manager it found a conflict witht he driver for the Wireless card. I had windows correct the problem itself while I was connected to the router witht he cable, and when it was done the network connected and worked fine on both the cable and the wireless connections.

6. RickM

RickM Private First Class

Remember, if you use static IP addresses you will still need to set it up for the wireless adapter. If you use DHCP make sure your adapter is setup for it. Having a good signal to the wireles portion is the same as wired, it means your connected but does not mean you have an IP.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds