"invalid value for registry" error with Windows 10 Photos app

Discussion in 'Software' started by tomg, Sep 24, 2015.

1. tomg

tomg Private First Class

Hi,
    I just installed Windows 10, and everything seems fine, except when I try to open a .jpg photo with the Photos app, i get an error saying: Invalid Value For Registry. I removed and reinstalled the Photos app twice, used Wise registry cleaner, but I can't get the Photos app to work. Any ideas gratefully welcomed!

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. tomg

tomg Private First Class

Eldon, thanks for the suggestion....I did so, but it found no problems. Should I try a system restore, or is there some other possible approach? Try to reinstall Windows 10? Thanks very much.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If you right click a jpeg pic and choose another app to open them, say Windows Photo Viewer does that work?

If not what you could do and I have a Powershell app that is superb for removing Windows 8.1 and 10 apps fully, is to run this powershell app (the named RemoveWindowsStoreApp)by right click and choose "run with powershell" and follow the instructions and Photo app is 113

Uploaded to my public OneDrive space for you to download.
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...13&authkey=!AJFdEuKDn4Zzt90&ithint=folder,ps1 download all the files in that folder to your PC and run as above

then reboot and reinstall the Photo app and re-associate the jpegs with the Photo app, Right Click a jpeg and choose open with and choose Photos

5. tomg

tomg Private First Class

David, yes, I can open JPGs with other programs/apps, only PHOTOS app doesn't work. I will try your suggestion and report back. Thanks.

6. tomg

tomg Private First Class

David, when I went to your OneDrive, I downloaded the following: Documentation Files file folder, en-US file folder, Documentation HTM File and RemoveWindowsStoreApp Windows PowerShell Script.
    When I right click the RemoveWindowsStoreApp Windows PowerShell Script, I only see these options: Open, Cut, Copy, Delete, Properties....I don't see a "Run with Powershell" option. Not sure what I am doing wrong, sorry.

7. tomg

tomg Private First Class

David, I did not hear back from you on my last post. My problem still exists and is now compounded.

I tried System Restore to a point a few weeks ago....it failed.

I tried to reset Windows 10 completely it failed.

Any ideas on how I can go back to day 1 of Windows 10...I don't have any music, files or photos I need to save, so a complete reset will hopefully start me anew, thanks.

8. tomg

tomg Private First Class

Hi all,
    The issue is now closed for me. I tried to roll the PC back to Windows 8.1,and must have done something wrong...it won't even boot up. I have been speaking with Dell...they want me to mail the machine to them so they can take a look. Thanks for trying to help me.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi tomg, sorry for late reply, work gets in the way a lot of late.

Yeah I think if a restore didnt work, you may have a more hardware related issue, maybe and a guess a HDD error that didnt get fixed or ignored by the system, thus when a restore or reset, wont work properly, had one a while back with a laptop of mine, ended up fitting a new SSD (updated from HDD while I was at it)

Do please let us know what Dell say was wrong when you get the machine back.

Do also really think before using registry cleaners as they can make a system corrupt, may have been part of your issue, but with a restore or reset I think more hardware.

tomg likes this.
  10. tomg

tomg Private First Class

ok, i will report back.....and actually before mailing the machine back to Dell, one of the IT guys from my company is going to take a look...keep you posted, thanks.

11. tomg

tomg Private First Class

@Lorein0688 and @DavidGP:
    Thanks again for trying to help. This turned out to be a nightmare. My company IT guys took a look and said they thought the motherboard was shot. Could not find a replacement at Dell or other online vendors (the PC is only 3 years old!!!). I sent the PC back to Dell to fix at my expense (out of warranty). After 3 weeks, Dell called me and said the motherboard is shot, but they cannot get a replacement (for their own machine which, again, is only 3 years old!!). Dell sent the broken PC back to me.
    I bought a Surface Pro and ACER touchscreen monitor.....no more all-in-one PCs for me!!
    Thanks again.

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I try to steer people away from all in one computers. My experience with my first computer, an IBM, all in one was similar to yours.
    Ironically I rescued an a-i-o computer that was sitting unused in storage at my doctor's office. Since it was free, I had nothing to lose but my time in trying to fix it. That computer is still being used by us, off the internet with Windows 2000 on it.

The floppy drive died years ago but fortunately it accepts an external USB floppy drive. The optical drive in it only reads CDs but I have an external DVD burner that uses 2 USB ports. That works too.

Bottom line: only use an all in one computer if it is free. :D

tomg likes this.
  13. tomg

tomg Private First Class

Good advice, it was a nearly $3,000 learning experience/mistake for me! Dell has now earned a "non-customer" for life too.
    On the positive side......the Surface Pro and Acer setup is fantastic.
    Thanks again everyone....over the years, Major Geeks has been very helpful to me, and much appreciated.

14. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I know how you feel about Dell products. I'm the same way with IBM and now Lenovo. I won't buy anything from them.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds