MBAM and Win 10 Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by Earthling, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Just added MBAM but find I have no context menu item for scanning individual files. Should I have? Seriously limits its usefulness if not.

2. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Custom, hyper, premium. These are the three types of scans I found. None can scan individual files or folders. The threat scan is randon scanning. Custom allows to to select different drives to scan. Custom does not seem to reveal too much about itself. One feature I did find interesting is the Exploit which is a part of MBAM and which you install separately.
    It runs in the background.

3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Custom, hyper, premium. These are the three types of scans I found. None can scan individual files or folders. The threat scan is randon scanning. Custom allows to to select different drives to scan. Hyper does not seem to reveal too much about itself except to say it scans startup objects etc and suggests you then run a threat scan. MBAM does look for rootkits which is good.
    [I made an error in the other reply place you directed me to buy misnaming the hyper scan.]
    One feature I did find interesting is the Exploit which is a part of MBAM and which you install separately. It runs in the background.
    I hope this helps as that is as much as I know.

If I may ask,
    I have first upgraded both of my pcs so MS knows them.
    I know it sounds like I am losing it but; when I inserted the medias dvd I did not boot off of it. I just played it as one would do with a movie.
    Should I have booted off of it and would it have made the difference as I ended up with a clean upgrade instead of a clean install.

I made an dvd of the iso file and wonder if that is better than the media tool to create a clean install.

4. Earthling

I'm asking about the right click context menu peter. Right click any file in 8.1 or earlier and if you have MBAM installed one of the context menu items is Scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware. That is not available in my Win 10 so I just want to know if it's the same for everyone. If it is not it seriously undermines MBAM's usefulness, for me anyhow.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

6. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I mow understand, Bernie. I do not have any right click options for MBAM. Sorry to have missed your request but Plodr picked up nicely.

7. Earthling

Oh boy, is this embarrassing :-o As the context menu item was always there by default in XP, Vista, 7 and 8/8.1 it had never occurred to me that there may be an on/off option. MS, in their infinite wisdom, have chosen to change the default in 10 to Off.

Thanks plodr!

8. plodr

Just glad you have what you need.

9. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

@ Bernie
    I just found the context menu box. It is unchecked by default and slipped by me. if you right click a file or folder you can scan with MBAM.
    General settings>lower right.
    Hope this makes up for the errors.
    Peter

10. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I have the paid version running W10 Pro, and under the scan tab you can customize and scan specific folders.

Not sure about the free version.

11. Earthling

Yep, you can do the same in the free version too, but my problem was simply not being able to scan individual files with a right click. Fortunately plodr was on the ball and solved it.

12. plodr

No, not me. I simply found a thread where someone asked the same question and pointed you to it.

13. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

The free version does have right click in the context menu it's under general in the lower right hand corner boo cu fT f

14. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

The free version does have right click in the context menu it's under general in the lower right hand corner

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds