System process PID 4

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leepy Lee, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Leepy Lee

Leepy Lee Private E-2

This started recently, but I can't pin it down to any particular change on the machine, but...

The PC generally grinds to a standstill with cpu usage at 99% as soon as I open any browser or office application.

Task Manager always shows system process PID 4 hogging 50-55% cpu time.

Anyone know what is causing this please? More importantly, how to stop it hogging the cpu...

Checking my pc at work for comparison, I find the same system process using generally less than 5% cpu.

Thanks,

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

While not a fan of searching for an answer, I did. Found and believe this to be true. It makes sense.

Windows Kernel. This virtual process contains all running kernel-mode drivers. This also includes Windows File Sharing, HTTP.SYS and probably all virus scanners.

So, for it to sppike, considering all it does, would be normal.

3. Leepy Lee

Leepy Lee Private E-2

Thanks for the reply, but it's not normal for the PC to grind to a halt and be running at 99% continuously.
    It also doesn't appear normal for PID 4 to be hogging 50% plus CPU time, compared to other machines.
    The PC just stops responding to anything. It seems the only way to stop it doing whatever it's doing is to restart it.
    Any older ideas please?

4. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

What is the CPU usage when you have no browser or office application running.
    Does the excessive CPU usage persist if the PC is booted into safe mode?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds