Only 512Mb Memory, which free firewall & anti-virus/malware to use please?

Discussion in 'Software' started by eclectk1, Nov 23, 2009.

1. eclectk1

eclectk1 Private E-2

Hi folks,

I've got an older VAIO pc with 512mb memory. Currently its got norton internet security on it, and I'm constantly running up against memory problems when all I have open is firefox (I am bad about getting a ton of tabs open at once tho). I'm about to have to renew subscription, and planning to go to zone alarm and a free anti-virus/malware type of program.

I've been assuming that zone (free version) is probably the best firewall option - please pipe up if you disagree.

I'd like suggestions for free anti-virus/malware.... I assume the two top picks are probably AVG free & AVAST free? Open to others if you're pretty sure they're better than those two.

A big issue is the active/constantly in use memory that the program uses however, so I'm hoping that someone here knows which of these (or other good options) uses the lowest amount of active/constantly running memory? I'm not worried about it during scans since I can schedule those for when I'm offline & not otherwise using the computer - its the active, always running memory usage by the program that's the problem.

Thanks in advance!

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

For your AV go with Avira (it's the lightest on resources)
    For the firewall Zonealarm is a good choice, also Comodo is worth a look aswell. im not sure how either do on the resource front but they are both very good firewalls.

[My personal recommendation would be Avira with Comodo]

Q

Oh yeah AVG fails IMO!

3. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I suggest you read through the following recent thread:
    [thread=203692]which anti-virus[/thread]

The member RenegadeT had some similar issues (with computer slow-down and system resources used) which were resolved by using the Comodo package.

In my first reply (mjnc), I provided links to two of the most recent test results for firewalls and anti-virus programs. On the firewall test, you will see that Comodo Internet Security (free) is at the top of the list with a score of 100%.

Take a look at DomLuc's comments about this package.
    This may work well for you also.

4. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Aye, i agree, Comodo Internet Suite is very good, (you will see my post in that thread)

They have managed to do what most fail at, and have made a full security package that is'nt s**t.

[my only gripe with it is i dont like the GUI]

I do however think Avira + Comodo firewall is lighter on resources than the comodo bundle (not by much though) :)

Q

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds