XP home won't shut down when choosing Shut Down

Discussion in 'Software' started by DinoRoberts, Feb 20, 2004.

1. DinoRoberts

DinoRoberts Private E-2

Hey all, been a while, hope all is well here, nice change in the look.

I got a problem. My bud just put his first computer together , AMD 2800 on asus motherboard (forget which he has, but it is a good gamer board) 512 of ram. He's not using the AC97 Sound built on the MB, so he is using a differnt sound card. He is running a maddog fx5200 graphic card.

all is well, system is stable, runs great for his needs ( just booted for first time 3 days ago) only 1 problem.

It won't shut off!

he goes to start --> Turn off computer --> then gets the three choices "Standby - Turn Off -- Restart . He chooses Turn off and it turns off and reboots (restart). If he chooses restart it restarts, he hasn't used standby as of yet.

He lives in a different state from me so I can't just get up and go over like old times, but he still needs some help and I can't figure itout.

Anyone tell me some ideas? I'd like to beable to help him. He bought this equiptment on my reccommendation (other than the sound card and video card which I didn't reccommend) and I want to help.

I have never had this problem building systems and have no ideas anymore.

I do know he went to device manager and no problems showing, everything says is working normally.

Thanks for they help,

Dino

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

3. sniper-uk

sniper-uk Private E-2

hi dino try telling your mate to try going here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308029#3

4. sniper-uk

sniper-uk Private E-2

i hope this helps if this doesent work maybe someone else has got some other suggestions:D

5. DinoRoberts

DinoRoberts Private E-2

Thank you all, very good answers each of you :D

Sorry for the late reply, I received your answers the next day and didn't put a thank you cuz I was helping him get it working (on the phone and net). I read those articles ya all posted and appreciate them, Thank you.

I asked him to go ahead and reformat and start over and all is well now., now he doesn't understand the fsb. Oye.

Thanks again ya'll

== == ==

Dino

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds