ATI Radeon Xpress 200 chipset on Vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nicenic61, Aug 16, 2012.

1. nicenic61

nicenic61 Private E-2

Folks,

Running an old Packard Bell desktop with ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics chipset on Vista Home Premium.

I've made sure I've got the latest drivers from Packard Bell, about 2 years old now. However, everytime I turn the thing off, when I reboot it can't find the driver and I have to reload it. Sometimes even that doesn't work and I have to keep retrying and rebooting, takes ages. There is a Windows update which I've tried also but that doesn't work. Very frustrating, sometimes takes me up to an hour to get the right widescreen graphics, and I'm not too keen on leaving it on 'sleep' when it's not needed. This is an old ongoing problem and started when I upgraded from XP about 6 months ago but it took me at least an hour to sort it this morning so enough is enough......

On another forum (oops) I read that it might be something to do with the computer being dual core.

Not particularly computer literate, your thoughts would be appreciated.

Nick.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Video drivers from the PC mfr's site can be iffy, esp. if you've upgraded the version of Windows to a newer version than the PC shipped with.

Go to http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx - here, you can either use the auto detect function or manually search for the latest and best drivers for the Xpress 200 chipset.

Hope this helps. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds