Decommissioning xp?

Discussion in 'Software' started by maryanjo, Jan 26, 2009.

1. maryanjo

maryanjo Private First Class

I have a laptop that I'm preparing to sell, but I would like to decommission it from my xp operating system. I need it for my new machine, but it won't let me activate it if its on 2 different machines. Does anyone know how to get in touch with microsoft to do that? I've looked on the site and can't find any info. A phone number would be useful. Thanks

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

There is no way to reverse the windows activation. Microsoft takes the serialized number (associated with your machine during activation) and stores it in a database. After four months this number is purged from their system, so activation should not be an issue after the fourth month.

So what do you do if you have used your copy of windows XP and then all of a sudden you get a new machine? Call Microsoft's activation hotline and they will reactivate it for you. At that point, their database will be updated and this starts another four month tag on your PC. I have done this. I had purchased a new machine and had to call the hotline.

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.
    2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.
    3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.
    4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.
    5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

3. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Keep in mind that your Copy of XP cannot be an OEM version. Meaning must have been purchased separately and not come pre-installed on that laptop. If it did come with the laptop... then it stays with the laptop.

4. maryanjo

Wow! I didn't know that. That is awesome Billmcc66. Yes Jerkyking, my copy is not an OEM, but my vista is an upgrade so I have to install xp in order to upgrade.
    Come to think of it, I have had my xp on my dell for more than 4 months, but when I install it on my new laptop it asks for activation and then that's when it says it's on more than one machine. Does it ask for activation every time you reinstall, or can you then, after 4 months, install it on any new machine?

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I'm no expert on XP validation, licensing, or activation, but I'm under the impression that it is one product key per PC. Period. If you bought the PC with XP preinstalled and a product key sticker on the PC, it MUST stay there. This means if you sell the PC, you cannot wipe the hard drive and remove the product key sticker and legally use it on another PC. The sticker must stay with the case. Even if all the other hardware is replaced (like the motherboard, hard drive, RAM, video card, etc), the key MUST STAY WITH THE CASE. I am not sure if the same thing applies to a full version of XP (or Vista) that you'd buy at Office Depot or something (upgrades are a whole different ball of wax and I'm not going to go there). I would assume since you bought the software, you can use it on ONE computer at a time. If you sell that PC, I would think that if you wipe the drive and remove the product key, you could then use it again on another PC in your home, but I might be wrong (if I am wrong, the rules SUCK, and it's no wonder that Mr. Gates is a multi-quadra-mega-ultra-sick-billionaire LOL ). I do know that you CANNOT use the same license (or product key) on more than one PC in your home. Many people think that they can use the same key on all the PCs in their house as long as all the PCs are under one roof, one family, etc. WRONG.

6. maryanjo

Does the same apply to Microsoft Office Professional 2007?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds