Quick Way to Repair Scratched CD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rik_na, Feb 3, 2007.

1. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

I have just receieved a CD that I am supposed to get a program off, but it is scratched just badly enough to make this impossible. Does anyone know of a quick trick to make this disk usable?

2. Sailor

Sailor First Sergeant

I don't think you can repair it but this program, Unstopable reader, should be able to take out the remaining good files.

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

you might try taking it to a used game dealer. The one we have here has a machine that will remove some scratches

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I've used toothpaste in the past.:)

5. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Then you can try an "Old" trick I use for scratched plastic, and Yes I have used it on CD's and yes it "Works Sometimes", get a bottle of "Future Clear Floor Polish" wipe CD evenly with Dust Free rag, let COMPLETELY dry like three hours, then try.................................Just a Side Note "Future" is a ammonia based polymer, so it comes off with anything that has Ammonia in it......................Windex has AmmoniaLOL

6. UKARMYCADET

UKARMYCADET Corporal

any more suggestions this post is rather interesting

7. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

Ditto Army Cadet, I thought there might some ways of doing this, but this is fascinating reading. With regard to the Toothpaste solution, how does this work? Do you wipe on the toothpaste on the scratched surface?

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I would try the rental place solution mentioned by musksnipe first. But another alternative would be Meguiars Scratch X available at your local auto parts place. I am in the middle of a motherboard upgrade, and cannot find my photoshop CD, so I have pictures I cannot post.

I took a Ubuto Live CD, Played Tic Tac Toe on it with a knife. I tried the Meguires, helped, but did not work. But carving a CD with a knife is not a normal scratch. So I used a little steel wool on the area, then followed up with several applications of the Mequires. Well, the disk looks ok, but will not boot.

So it leads me to the conclusion that the Meguires will help with minor scratches, and don't play tic tac toe with a knife on a CD you want to use.

E

9. Bluepickle

Bluepickle Major Folder

Toothpaste, Meguiars, or a mild buffing compound all do basically the same thing. They "polish" the mild scratches out of the disk with a mild abrasive. They work well for a disk that's scratched just badly enough not to be read. They won't take out very deep scratches though. The rental place machines pretty much just "sand" a layer off, they work a whole lot quicker, and remove a little deeper scratches. The Future polish is a new one on me, I'll have to try it. I doubt seriously there's an "easy" trick for getting a disk to work that you've cut deeply with a knife.

10. BigBird

BigBird Private First Class

Heck I just bought a scratch remover, it was cheap and works pretty well on minor scratches, but not deep ones. Hey I've even fixed audio disks with it!:wave

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I've temporarily fixed CDs by throwing them in the freezer for a bit.

12. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Actually, I 've used a shotgun...doesn't fix it but is fun as hades:D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds