Upon startup, computer makes buzzing noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The Wizard, Sep 3, 2004.

1. The Wizard

The Wizard Private E-2

Whenever I go to turn on my computer in the morning, it makes a very annoying buzzing sound that gets even louder and more annoying as the time goes by. I have no idea what is causing this. I've opened my case and looked around trying to pinpoint the noise but have been unsuccessful. I have a feeling it might be the hard drive or maybe the PSU but I really don't know, those are just guesses. I've tried turning off a few of the case fans and even reduced the speed of my HSF but nothing. I really don't think it is the fans anyways. I really don't know what to do, I really hope that this noise isn't a warning sign that one of my parts is going to fail.

Also, I just want to mention that this noise doesn't occur whenever I shut down the computer and then turn it back on again. This is what I've been doing pretty much everyday now. I turn the computer on, listen to the annoying buzzes for a couple minutes, shut down, turn it back on and then use my computer normally.

2. BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey Master Sergeant

A buzz.
    Yes, maybe something in the way of the power source fan.

3. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

is it electrical buzzing? you know, like some old street lamp buzzing, or maybe something softer and lower frequency. if it is, your power supply should be replaced immediately.

4. The Wizard

The Wizard Private E-2

The weird thing is, whenever I shut down and then boot up again after hearing the noise, I don't hear any noise. My video card has a little fan on it but I've just assumed it wouldn't make such a big noise.

I'm going to try my best and record a sample of the noise and post it on here to give you an idea of what I'm hearing.

5. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Are you booting with a CD in the CD ROM device? If so, remove the CD.

I had this annoying buzzing with a specific CD (probably not a balanced CD, i.e., weight not evenly spread) that buzzes on spin-up and then goes away after a while. Funnily the CD did not buzz if placed in after boot up!? Had this CD in when I booted up and it made an awful buzzing. I checked fans, disk drives and everything, drove me nuts looking at all moving parts until I got it.

6. The Wizard

The Wizard Private E-2

At first I thought it might've been the CD/DVD drives but I checked and there weren't any discs left in them.

I recorded a sample of the noise this morning and attached an mp3 file (inside a zip file), hopefully it'll help.

Attached Files:

7. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

hrm... i seriusly dont know what to make of it, since there's so much resonating and ambient noise. if you want my honest opinion, it could be a dirty fan coupled with a faulty fan controller. why not try stopping each fan very briefly and see if it's one of the fans.

8. BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey Master Sergeant

Oh yea the noise is defently a fan.
    When i installed my new ram, some wires from the PSU got in the CPU fan.
    It made that noise.

9. Vlad the Impaler

Vlad the Impaler F.K.A. Immaculate

Yes the small fan on your video card can make that noise.

I bought an Asylum GFORCE4 128MB and when I installed it the fan on the card made a loud buzzing noise for about 5 minutes, then went away. I returned it, and the second card did the same thing! I couldn't beleive it. I ended up taking the fan off and installing a custom fan and heatsink on the card I found on the internet. This fixed my problem.

10. haroldmeyer

haroldmeyer Private E-2

It's the hardrive, I have an old one that does that only at start up.SMART detects it as going out, but its been doing this for 2-years and it's still working fine.

11. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

my old graphics cards fan made a noise like that, though not quite as loud ... i had to clean it regularly

12. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

yeah i say take your case out and do a good dusting blow out in it with those co2 cans you can buy at office depot.

eric

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds