alg.exe error 0xc000007b

Discussion in 'Software' started by chris3sox, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris3sox

chris3sox Private E-2

I own a 2 month old dell latitude e6500 (32 bit vista) and recently whenever i start the computer up it gives me 1 error about alg.exe failing to initialize properly (0xc000007b). then when i hit ok, another window comes up saying CPAX20 has stopped working. eventually it just closes the service, and it will not stay open.

it doesn't affect my performance (casual user), but a few days ago all of a sudden all of my services stopped working 1 by 1 and i got the black screen of death. i did a full scan with avg free (newest version), found nothing. I wasn't able to access any anti-virus websites, or microsoft.com. so i knew something was up.

i used the vista dvd to get back on, and got symantec endpoint protection. that found a bunch of stuff quickly. so i got rid of avg [forever]

i've read that a klez worm causes this, so i downloaded a symantec tool to scan and remove it. it found nothing. What's happening?

Attached Files:

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Have you looked in services (Control Panel, Admin Options, Services) to see what alg (Application Layer Gateway) is set to ?
    It may be that a service is set incorrectly.
    Here is a guide to Vista 32 services
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

The CPAX20 seems to be linked to a company called Sornsoft and is some kind of crapware/malware/nuisanceware.
    I can't find much on it.

Have you tried a system restore to a time before these messages occurred?

3. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Problems with .Net framework software can also cause this issue - might be worth a try to check to make sure all the .Net software on your PC is up to date.

4. chris3sox

chris3sox Private E-2

how do I check for .net updates?

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Go to Windows update and let it scan your computer.

6. thugonomics

thugonomics Private E-2

Yeah, I found an alg.exe in C:\Program Files\Common Files, not in a folder, but by itself. It was from Sornsoft. Once I deleted it, I had no more problems with my computer. Also I unchecked it from Startup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds