How do I find out how much power my power supply uses?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nickompoop, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Nickompoop

Nickompoop Private E-2

I need to upgrade my graphics card to dual wield monitors, but that's not my issue (obviously). I want to know how much power (in watts) my power supply pulls out of the wall socket and how much power each piece of hardware is using. I don't exactly want to overload the power supply or the outlet.

The sticker on the side of my power supply says that at 3.3V or 5V 110W is used. At 25 degrees Celsius it uses 250W and at 50 degrees Celsius 212W. I know that this is much lower than it actually is, and it does say watts next to the numbers, not volts.

I really need an accurate number to measure the power usage of the computer and each piece of hardware. Where can I buy a meter that can tell me that?

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

3. Nickompoop

Nickompoop Private E-2

what about finding the wattage my supply is rated at?

4. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Open your PC and look at the sticker that's on your PSU

5. Nickompoop

Nickompoop Private E-2

the sticker is wrong. read the original post

6. michianacomputers

michianacomputers Private E-2

Well to answer your question properly, I need to know what the model of your PSU(Power Supply Unit) Is.
    I also need to know what video card you plan on getting?

If you need help picking, I can give you suggestions.

Let me know :major

7. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I don't think he's looking for a new video card.

If the sticker is wrong on your PSU that's going to be hard to find what it is rated at. Try to Google the model and see what you get.

8. Nickompoop

Nickompoop Private E-2

lite on ps-5251-7 is the power supply model i'm using. and yes, i want a video card. but that doesn't matter at this point

9. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

If I'm reading this right it's a 630 Watt PSU

If you want us to help you find a video card post your full system specs and if your pc is a OEM like HP Dell Gateway etc.

10. Nickompoop

Nickompoop Private E-2

630???? i Googled the model and every site that showed up said 250 W

11. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

My bad I was looking at a wrong link. Does the sticker on your PSU say 250 watts total combined power? I highly doubt that the sticker on your PSU is wrong.

12. Nickompoop

Nickompoop Private E-2

yeah, you're right....

my psu sticker is correct. it's just a really bad psu. thanks anyways for the help

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds