dlink dlw 132

Discussion in 'Software' started by sobeit, Oct 2, 2009.

1. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Hi all.
    Trying to install drivers for a dlink dwl g132.
    Daughters original broke, bought a new one, tried to install the drivers, the old were removed the new installed. Things didn't work so i did it again.
    Now the drivers will not install.
    The disc spins and the setup starts but then just stops.
    I have tried add remove, manually getting rid, registry search, there seems to be nothing left yet it still wont install.
    Any clues.
    XP home.
    Cheers

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Try using this driver direct from the DLink web site. I'm assuming you're using Windows XP. Unzip the downloaded driver but do NOT run the setup.exe file. Use the info in this thread to install the driver using the Device Manager/Hardware Wizard.... Good luck!

3. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Thanks for the reply dlb.
    More happenings since.
    I have tried a format. No go.
    I have tried the original xp home disc, i get an error, File\i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 7.
    I have Googled this and it looks like a bios problem.
    I have also tried my own XP pro disc and i get , The file asc 350p is corrupted.
    I don't know if it will work but if i get time tomorrow i will go into the bios and reset to factory settings and see what happens.
    I have noticed a message on boot up that mentions the bios and sometimes i have to press F1 to load windows.
    Perhaps the mobo is dying!! It is lots of years old after all.
    As i wrote that i thought about the CMOS battery, the mobo is possibly 6 or more years old, i haven't had any warnings but perhaps the battery is underpowered??
    these machines......fun though aint it?
    Any more pointers or thoughts on the above much appreciated.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

When you get "file corrupt" errors trying to install Windows, they are very commonly caused by faulty memory. They can also be caused by a failing hard drive but this is much less common. I strongly suggest running an extended in-depth memory diagnostic, I like using this one. You can create a bootable floppy, or an ISO image to burn to create a boot CD. Boot to it and press 'T' to run the extended advanced tests and run at least 3 passes. Bad RAM will normally error out on the 1st pass, and if it does, you can end the test, but if not, run 3 passes. This will take time so be patient. Also, the test may appear to lock up at times (esp on test 7) but it hasn't; I have never seen this test lock up, ever. If the memory makes it thru 3 passes, then run an advanced hard drive diagnostic. You can download it for free from your hard drive maker's support page. They usually have a bootable diagnostic, and one that runs from within Windows; I prefer the bootable ones. Create the boot disc and run the extended advanced tests as per the instructions on the HD maker's web site. As to the CMOS battery, hook it up to a voltmeter and if it reads below 2.9v, replace it. New CMOS batteries are only about $3, so it's not a big deal. If you don't have a voltmeter, you might want to just get a new battery anyway. Good luck!!!!!
    :)

(I'm sure I'll get some flack saying from stating that 2.9v is acceptable for a CMOS battery; I have seen numerous systems with CMOS batteries that read under 2.5v that functioned just fine and retained BIOS settings w/o any problems; it is not necessarily recommended to use a CMOS battery that reads under 3.0v, but they will work as low as 2.5v, and possibly even lower, but anything under 2.9v, IMHO, should be replaced)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  5. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Hi dlb.
    It was even simpler than i could have guessed.
    I was watching the light on the cd drive and it was acting a bit strange.
    It made me wonder, so i tried the other drive and bingo, the drive formatted without any problems.
    However, i now have a internet dropout problem so i may see you at the networking section.
    Cheers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds