Offline new PC install advice

Discussion in 'Software' started by Myles45, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Myles45

Myles45 Private E-2

Hi all,
    Just looking for a bit of advice on how best to approach my new install & which order to do things.
    Firstly a bit of info on my setup.
    I have a Microsoft refurbed Lenovo Thinkcentre M90p with Windows 7 Pro 64bit pre-installed & not on disc. I have the key for it.
    The HDD is only 160GB & my initial intention was to add a second larger internal HDD 500GB using the spare eSATA but discovered that there is no room inside the case. So plan B is to swap the HDDs & possibly get a caddy for the smaller one & use as an external backup drive again using the eSATA.

I want to keep this PC completely offline as it will be my work PC with design software etc. but I will use my current, ancient, slow as hell HP Compaq as my online PC. to download updates etc & transfer to the offline PC.

I have downloaded Avast Free, Macrium Reflect Free & WSUS.

So what is the best order to do things? I obviously need to copy Windows OS from the smaller HDD to the larger one & I need to add the updates with WSUS. Do I need to make a Rescue disc with Macrium from the small drive BEFORE I do anything or do I update Windows first & then create rescue disc?

Having read the Macrium user guide I'm still slightly confused as to the difference between rescue disc, disc imaging & disc cloning.
    I'm thinking I need all three. Rescue to reboot after a catastrophe, image to restore to most recent state after reboot & clone to move OS to new drive?

At which point should I install Avast?

I also downloaded file backup bvckup2 for when I'm up & running, but not sure if I'd be better just using Macrium?

Is there anything I have forgotten that I should also be doing?

Any advice very much appreciated

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds