PC Freezing while playing games.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rocketsauce, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Private E-2

Ok so I recently built this pc from the ground up, for some time now it's been freezing up. What happens is when I play pretty much any game, even low required games like Diablo 2 and Ragnarok Online, my pc will lock up for about 20 seconds and the sound will loop over and over then after it's done having its fritz everything will speed up and then go back to normal. It does this pretty often, sometimes it won't do it for about a couple hours other times it'll do this every 5 minutes.

I've asked on other forums and the only reply is that it could be a faulty power supply. I don't have too many programs running in my proccesses so I really have no clue what's doing this, it's the first time it's ever happened to me.

Here are my PC specs.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
    System Manufacturer: GBT___
    System Model: AWRDACPI
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Page File: 362MB used, 1330MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 7600 GT
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Display Memory: 256.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.9131 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

I've made sure I've installed all the latest drivers, ect ect.
    I also don't think it could be an overheating issue, I've got quite a few fans in it but also I put up a giant fan next to it to make sure (one of those huge @ss window fans) I can feel the case is cold but it doesn't seem to help.

I'm really clueless. I'm going to try and replace the powersource and see if that helps at all. Any advice?

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

This sounds like a ram issue, is this a 1 gig stick or 2-512s?

3. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Private E-2

Hmm you could be right, it's a stick of 1gig. Also it's doubtful but do you think if I moved the stick of ram around into another slot it would have any effect?
    My mobo supports up to 4 gig with 4 slots.

The ram is a 1gig stick of Aeneon PC2-5300

4. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Can you list the specs of the mother board, i think you may need 2 sticks of ram in there.

5. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Private E-2

It is a Nvidia nForce 4 Sli Intel edition. Dual Core Processor, supports Dual Channel DDR2 667, runs with PCI express, CPU type is Intel pentium 4/ Pentium D.

The Mobo has 4 ram slots only have 1 stick of 1 gig in there and nothing to add as of yet. I hope it's as simple as an extra stick of ram.

6. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

7. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Private E-2

Ran the memtest and it passed. Guess it might be a lack of ram qhich I doubt, or it could be overheating / power supply. As of now I've tried a few pc monitors to test my cpu temp and it seems to be ab average of 60-70degrees but I don't know how accurate those are.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds