Why does my vista computer say 'preparing desktop', then load a fresh new desktop wit

Discussion in 'Software' started by waterboy2, Oct 29, 2012.

1. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

Why does my vista computer say 'preparing desktop', then load a fresh new desktop with no wallpaper

then i have to restart a few times and it brings back my original desktop

thanks everone

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Re: Why does my vista computer say 'preparing desktop', then load a fresh new desktop

I'm not sure if you have a corrupted profile or not. That would explain your symptoms. Maybe try doing a chkdsk on your C: drive to see if that helps. Computer>rightclick C: and select Properties. Under the Tools tab hit the Check Now button. In the window that opens leave the first box ticked and hit the Start button. It will schedule the chkdsk for next reboot so reboot and let it run. See if your problem still persists.

3. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

Re: Why does my vista computer say 'preparing desktop', then load a fresh new desktop

hello sach2

thanks for contact

have run chkdsk twice problem still persists
    "your user profile was not loaded correctly"
    this is a temporary log on nothing willbe saved

"please see event log for details or see system adm"

so i guess i have lost my original desktop

now how to solve this problem and will begin again

also when problem first appeared after 3 or for restarts the original desktop reappered but the i mistakenly shut compter down and
    am now in this situation

also 1 time it couldnt even load it went to system start repair but said couldnt fix it
    so i shut down for night unplugged toook out battery
    and this morning it boots up

hotspot sheild 2.47 was loaded a few weeks ago maybe thaat is the evil problem

well thanks for any ideas to fix
    "your user profile was not loaded correctly"

'

4. sach2

Hi,

As far as I know there is no way to fix a corrupted profile, a new one has to be created and then you can copy your personal files from one to the other. I don't have the details as I haven't done it. I think the first step is getting a new profile which can't be done from the temporary account as far as I know.

See if you can get into safe mode by hitting F8 repeatedly during the manufacturer's splash screen (particularly towards the end of the splash screen just as Windows starts to load) when booting the computer. If yours was the only administrative account, because it isn't working, it may let you into the built in Administrator account where you could create a new User. Start>Control Panel>Users then create a new account. If you can't get into Safe Mode and the Administrator account then we will have to figure out a workaround. Do you have a Vista installation disc?

5. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

not sure what im doing i got into safe mode
    i createds three new standard profiles

but when i try to login to them it says i cannot

its a toshiba i have the recovery disk but no vista windows install disk thanks

amazing how a profile can cause so much problem
    thanks

6. sach2

So you now have 4 users on the Welcome screen. What exactly does it say when you try to log into one of the new users?

7. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

the user profile service failed the logon.use profile cannot be loaded

8. sach2

I'm not sure what is going on. It should have been fairly simple to create the new user and log onto it.

Just to be sure, have you tried to login to the new user(s) in normal mode rather than safe mode?

9. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

yes i am in abnormal windows mode lol

i created them terroist safe mode but tried to acces them in normal mode

but i think i am in tempoaary mode always

anyway if you have any ideas thanks so much
    peace

10. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

to more clues

au_.exe prevents me from deleting a program

also can not access temp files ????

thanks

11. sach2

I'm generally lost when it comes to services not being available. I hope someone else can help.

Is there any chance of doing a system restore to maybe a month ago? If that could complete perhaps creating a new user again would be a viable option.

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

After researching what au_.exe is, I've learned it is used by legitimate and not so legitimate software when installing. (one person dealing with malware elsewhere, saw the CPU usage climb to 100% by this and it was eventually tied to a Yahoo toolbar).

I next looked at Hotspot shield and saw that it adds extra toolbars unless you look closely and opt out.

If you can remove Hotspot shield as a test, perhaps that will fix the au_exe and your corrupt user profile.

13. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

thanks plodr and sach2

i didnt load any toolbars with hotspot sheild

to delete hotspot i must delete au_.exe but i have found no clear instructions for this
    i have run spy ware but it doesnt find any problems
    i read something about unhideing folders/files but never did thatbefore when fixing an infrcted computer.

so any help woulld be appreciated gracias

14. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

Why does my vista computer say 'preparing desktop', then load a fresh new desktop

my computer everytime it boot up deletes everything in my user account saying user account loaded incorrectly. i loads new desktop and say it is temporary.

also get notice about not being able to access temp fles

i try and delete hot spot shield but it say au_.exe is not working or stopped working

thanks

15. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

your user account could not be loaded correctly

you have been load with temporary account

nothing will be saed

how do i solve this issue
    thanks

16. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

au_.exe stops me from uninstalling hotshield 2.74

also seems to afect my temporay files

also when booting up installs new desktop everytime deleteing al previous information

say user account did not load correctly
    you are looged on with temp user

thanks

17. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

user account loading incorrect

user account loading incorrect

so it loads me in temp user account

many notices that tenp files cannot be used or accessed when trying to download avg

there is a notice to view log file

can someone tell me where to find it and could they decifer what it says to solve this problem

thanks

18. sach2

Did you look to see if there were any restore points available? Start>type in system restore and hit <enter>. You may not have permission to run sys restore from the temporary account but I want to know if there are restore points available.

Also do you have a blank CD or DVD? You could create a repair disc to try system restore from that if it won't work from safe mode. To create a disc type Create in the search box and "Create a Repair Disc" will come up in the list of results. It will guide you to the process. Then you could boot from that and see if it will let you run sys restore.

19. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

i do not have any system restore points

i promise when i have my computer working correctly i will learn about

system restore points.

thanks any other ideas

gracias

20. sach2

On the screen where you choose safe mode perhaps you could try Last Known Good Configuration. See if that will let you into Normal Mode.

21. sach2

Do try Last Known Good in case it would be an easy fix.

What is your usual username? This is the list of users from your logs and I don't see a standard user account unless your user name is "1".

22. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

yes my user name is 1 that is correct

23. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

in safe mode it also says user account loaded incorrectly and loaded as temp user

also i hit f8

from that page i dont see an option for loading last good configuration

i see safe mode
    safe mode with commad prompts

and few others but nothing about last good configuration
    thanks

24. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

last known good

i dont see that option

how would i get to that page

thanks

25. sach2

Apparently some computers don't have that option (I thought all did but I have learned otherwise). It would have been on that safe mode screen as seen here. http://www.fanhow.com/images/thumb/...w_to_Use_Advanced_Boot_Options_in_Vista-1.png

Let's try one last thing. In Safe Mode go to Start and type in cmd but do not hit enter. Cmd.exe will come up in the list of search results. Right-click that entry and select "Run as Administrator". In the command window that opens type/paste in

net user administrator /active:yes

and see if it will accept the command. If it asks for a password use your password for the "1" account.

26. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

it accepted that command

so when i am on account user page i now have
    and
    administrator
    icons
    before i just has

also very strange when i went to f8

and page came up with options
    i saw
    open with last good config

i tried it but
    it still loaded new dexktop in temp user mode

thanks

27. sach2

Will it let you log in to Administrator? Does it give a temporary account message the same as 1 does or do you not see that popup message?

28. sach2

If it lets you sign in go ahead and go to Control Panel>Users and see if you can create a new user account with administrator privileges. Make sure it is a name you would be willing to use as I think you may have to just start using a new account/profile. If you can create it go ahead and sign out of Administrator and into the new account and change the wallpaper by right-clicking an empty part of the desktop and selecting Personalize then choosing a new theme. Reboot and sign back into the new account and see if the changes have been saved.

29. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

in admin mode i created a new user account with adminprivilages

when i tried to logg into new account
    it said

the user profilr service failed the logon

user profile cannot be loaded

30. sach2

I'm reading up on the problem.

Let me know if you can get to this file path C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\SqmApi\SqmData720896_00.sqm

It probably doesn't exist but I just want to make sure. On my Win7 I do not have a Windows Live folder so you probably don't either but please check anyway.

Just go to Computer and then to C: and keep clicking each folder in the list until you can no longer find the next folder. You have to have hidden files showing so in Computer click the Organize link at the left top of the window and choose Folder and Search options. Under the VIew tab, tick the circle for Show Hidden Files and also untick the box for Hide Protected Operating System Files then hit Apply.

Oh BTW, so you use Windows Live Messenger?

31. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

the folder thread stops at windows no windows live

i have windows live messanger i think i have tried to used but people dont see me or i dont have something set up

thanks thanks

32. sach2

It seems your regular profile is corrupted but also you are having problems creating new profiles. I have not found anything particularly useful. I will have to look at this tomorrow.

I'd like to see if you have any .sqm files in your Users/default folder to rule them out. I think this command should bring up any.

Start>type in cmd then right click cmd.exe from the results list and select "Run as Administrator" in the window type/paste the following lines and hit <enter> after each one:

cd c:/users
    dir *.sqm /s /a

Does it find any? Does it find any in directory C:/Users/Default

33. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

it found 2
    log attached

34. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

07/06/2012 10:38 AM 644 SqmData19_00.sqm
    07/14/2012 03:49 PM 740 SqmData21_00.sqm
    2 File(s) 1,384 bytes

Directory of c:\Users\1\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Movie Maker\SqmApi

07/14/2012 03:45 PM 140 SqmSessionData-NoOptIn-MovieMaker-00.sqm
    07/14/2012 03:50 PM 140 SqmSessionData-NoOptIn-MovieMaker-01.sqm
    2 File(s) 280 bytes

Total Files Listed:
    7 File(s) 4,006 bytes
    0 Dir(s) 1,559,519,232 bytes free

c:\Users>^A
    '☺' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

c:\Users>^A
    '☺' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

c:\Users>

35. sach2

It seems to be saying it found 7 files total, let me see the whole list.

Repeat the last command with added > C:\sqmfiles.txt This will output the information from the command to the sqmfile.txt and put it in the root of the C: drive.

So at the C:\users> prompt type/paste

dir *.sqm /s /a > c:\sqmfiles.txt

Then you will find the sqmfile.txt file in Computer and clicking on C:
    You can attach the file to your post.

36. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

file attached
    thankssssss

Attached Files:

37. sach2

I'll have to look again tomorrow. None of those should be causing the problem creating new users because they are all related to your "1" account not the "default" account from which new users are created.

Am I correct that you now have three names on your Welcome screen:"1", "Administrator" and "your new account" but you can only log into Administrator?

Also am I correct that the Administrator account works fine without telling you it is a temporary account?

I just want to be sure I am understanding your situation.

38. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

yes i have 3 accounts on welcome screen

:"1", always loads a temp account
    "Administrator" seems to work fine

"zen" cannot access i just created it a few hours ago

thanks

39. sach2

Good. I'll read up on the problem tomorrow and try to find something useful.

I think your Administrator account is good because it was created before the current problem. Deleting a troublesome SQM file somewhere in C:\Users\Default\... is the usual fix for not being able to log into a newly created user but you don't seem to have one of those so we'll have to look for another solution.

I'll get back to you.

40. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

i try to delete a program hot shield
    and i get cant continue
    au_.exe

maybe this part of problem

also had problems with temp files
    when trying to load files in the "1" account

thanks thanks
    good evening

41. sach2

Hi,

I am really having trouble narrowing anything down. I don't think Hotspot Shield is involved--did this happen immediately after install of that program? You might go to C:\Program Files and look for a HotShot folder and then see if there is an uninstaller in that folder. If it exists try double-clicking it. (My thought is that au_.exe is an unexpanded file which is why it won't run. So maybe there is another uninstaller in that folder. The name would probably include "uninstall".)

I'm wondering if there is anything showing in Event Viewer. Go to Start and type in event viewer and hit <enter>. Then you want to expand Windows logs on the left and click on Applications. See if any errors relate to User Profile. This photo shows basically where you want to be in Event Viewer. Do you have any errors where the Source column references User Profile?

42. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

event viewer does show

Error 11/12/2012 7:29:06 PM User Profile Service 1542 None
    Error 11/12/2012 7:29:06 PM User Profile Service 1542 None

43. sach2

When you click on those two problems does it give anything in the bottom pane under the general tab relating to any file such as in that screenshot. What I am looking for is anything with \Users\Default\ in the path. I am convinced it has something to do with not being able to copy a file from somewhere in that directory. Windows uses that as the template for creating a new user, if it gets an error while copying any file the new user is not created properly and you get the User Profile Error.

You can see in that screenshot that there is a Source and Destination in the error pointing to a copy error. Also those errors don't include the word "Service" but if you don't have an "General" errors just see if those two service errors you have reference any file at all.

44. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

hi sach2 i am traveling for next 10 days so hard to work on this hopefully you will help me when resume late november
    have a great thanksgiving

thanks thanks chris

i need to instal a screnshot program but tried 2 and my antivirus said it was threat so working through that
    peace

45. sach2

Enjoy your Holiday!

We can get back to it whenever you get a chance. I think the ability to create a new user is something that you will want to be able to do even if you can get by using the Admin account for now.

For screenshots, you can always just hit the prntscreen key and then open Paint and hit Paste. Crop as needed and save as jpg. Not really that many steps if you don't do screenshots too often and don't need a separate program.

46. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

hello sach2
    well i stupidly ran avg
    and cc cleaner it deleted the event viewer event logs.......
    i tried to log onto my othe user accounts and then check event viewer but the problem didnt show up very strange
    also in the admin user account that work ok on destop when i try to add folder by right click on option it shows empty

also i created some new folders on desk top and put files in them but when i re booted it deleted the contens of the new created folder.
    when i right click desktop and select new it shows empty instead of options for new folder and other options in tha menu

47. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

this is from another thread is this a clue to problem

thanks thanks

Yes but this is not a malware problem. You have the environment variable for your user account set incorrectly. It is set to the below:

USERPROFILE=C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile

And is should be set to

USERPROFILE=C:\Users\1

Also you do not have your TEMP environment variable set correctly. It is set to:

TEMP=C:\Windows\TEMP

And it should be set to

C:\Users\1\AppData\Local\Temp

48. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

event viewer screen shot

strange doesnt show problem
    thanks

Attached Files:

49. waterboy2

waterboy2 Private E-2

user profile service screen short

Attached Files:

50. sach2

I'm going to have to reread this thread. In your second screen shot can you highlight one of the User Profile General errors and let me see what it says about it in the lower pane (post a new screenshot)?

The information in your other post about the USERPROFILE=C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile etc. etc. looks like it may be important.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds