bytes over 1,000,000. and going up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aaronkbk, Jan 24, 2010.

1. aaronkbk

aaronkbk Private E-2

hellllp!!!!
    I'am only using da internet, chrome, and bytes sent and received keep increasing.
    at times my internet browser stops working despite my wireless good signal.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version are you using?

Bytes sent and recieved will generally keep rising unless you physically unplug from the internet as communication from you to your ISP, as well s when you are using Chrome, your connected to a webpage and depending on its content it could be loading/rotation adverts as well as sending packets of data to say "are you still here", also you could be downloading Windows or Antivirus updates in the background.

Do you use P2P?

What Security software do you have installed?

Do you use a router and wifi?

Us something like this http://majorgeeks.com/Simple_Internet_Meter_Lite_d6275.html to see what applications could be using your internet connection.

3. aaronkbk

aaronkbk Private E-2

i have a d-link wireless router, windows vista, with avast! antivirus

i gust is a normal thing, since the other computers represent da same behavior.
    i remember my old os(windows 2000) only show the connection status bytes sent and received of of that particular time and connection.
    thank you all for the help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds